how would you say "sculpture"?

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janKalepa

how would you say "sculpture"?

Post by janKalepa »

I've finally get the context dependency of toki pona. So, I know, when I standing near the sculpture, i'd call it just ijo. On some well known sculpture I'd say: ni li sitelen pi jan Tawi (I want ed to say: sculpture of David, not by David, but I see some possible disambiquation here). But how could I say "I'm creating sculpture"? If I won't explicitly mention 3d, I'd say "sitelen". If the fact of creating 3d object has some importance, what would I say? sijelo sitelen, maybe?
janKipo

Re: how would you say "sculpture"?

Post by janKipo »

Sounds goood. 'sitelen' includes carving, indeed almost any kind of art activity. You might want to stress that the material is rock (or whatever, though I don't know how to say some whatevers). So the object is 'sijelo sitelen', the activity 'sitelen sijelo'
janKalepa

Post by janKalepa »

janKipo wrote:Sounds goood. 'sitelen' includes carving, indeed almost any kind of art activity. You might want to stress that the material is rock (or whatever, though I don't know how to say some whatevers). So the object is 'sijelo sitelen', the activity 'sitelen sijelo'
What do you think about "the sculpture of David" vs "the sculpture by Michelangelo?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

sijelo sitelen Tawi v sijelo sitelen pi tan Mikelanselo?
janMato

Post by janMato »

mi lon ma tomo Wasinton. tenpo esun pini la mi en meli mi li tawa tomo pi ijo pi pona lukin. tomo ni li tomo Sumitonan. tomo Sumitonan li suli kin. mi tu wan li lukin e jan kiwen Puta tan ma Asiganisutan. tenpo pini la ma Asiganisutan li nasin Puta. tenpo ni la on li tawa nasin Islan (nasin jan Awa).

If it wasn't a stone statue though, I might have used a different phrase.
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

Jan kiwen Puta pi tan ma . Not stone? Metal? Ceramic? Wood? (maybe pushing 'kiwen' a bit).
Ma Asiganisutan li [some verb, maybe 'tawa'] nasin.
Apanitan?
Jan kon/sewi Ala? Oh, I see the problem.
janKalepa

Post by janKalepa »

janSilipu wrote:Jan kiwen Puta pi tan ma . Not stone? Metal? Ceramic? Wood? (maybe pushing 'kiwen' a bit).
Ma Asiganisutan li [some verb, maybe 'tawa'] nasin.
Apanitan?
Jan kon/sewi Ala? Oh, I see the problem.
As for me, the beauty of toki pona is that:you need not push anything i:-) i
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

Indeed, don't even have a good way to say it ( "shove" is maybe 'utala'. But we haven't come to that).