[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
wile sona tu - Page 2 - Toki Pona Forums

wile sona tu

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janSilipu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: wile sona tu

Postby janSilipu » Sat May 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Exactly.
For prep with modifier, how about mi tawa noka, "I walk" or even mi tawa noka tomo, "I walk home". Now, tawa is functioning as a verb there but is still a preposition, since it takes a complement, not a direct object.
Mi tawa tawa tomo may be redundant (but need not be "I move toward home") but it is not nonsensical.
For "I walk home quickly", I would probably say mi tawa noka wawa tomo, but mi tawa pi tenpo lili tomo works too. Mi tawa tomo pi tenpo lili is "I walk to my temporary home". Kepeken works too.

janMato

Postby janMato » Sat May 11, 2013 3:46 pm

jan Mato's take on pi--
pi is sort of a universal relation (a phrase I borrow from the world of relational databases), so it says that there is something connecting two things and who knows what that relationship is, it could be the same sort of relationship as denoted by "the man *who* makes the bread" The challenge with using toki pona like that is that the basic sentence doesn't allow for the object.

* mi lukin e jan pi pali e pan. (lukin governs the e pan, so this is I see the man of work (with unnecessary pi) and I see bread

But if there isn't an object, you kind of can

mi lukin e waso pi tawa wawa. I see the road runner (I see the bird who runs fast.)

preps taking modifers

mi lon supa lape mi. I'm on my bed. (plain case, no modifier to lon)
mi lon ala supa lape mi. Takes negative modifier
mi lon anpa supa lape mi. I'm under my bed. According the official word list, there are only 6 preps and anpa isn't one of them. So construction like this burst into existence. There are several ways to parse it-- compound preposition, prep with modifier, or the anpa is a place where you are and the rest of the phrase modifies anpa. Without a lot of contrastive structures, I don't think there is a slam dunk way to say what the real answer is. (By constrastive structures, I mean, where linguists come up with lots and lots of legal and illegal examples to figure out what the real rules are)

ni li mani sike tu mi. mi tawa. pali li kalama li wile e mi.

jan_Anti

Postby jan_Anti » Sat May 11, 2013 5:17 pm

janKipo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby janKipo » Sat May 11, 2013 10:19 pm

lon anpa pi supo lape mi (official but maybe not enduring).
mi tawa noka tomo. Yes, it can mean those other things, too; you have to go with probabilities in context (the others are low prob in most contexts).
if mi tawa wawa tomo is legit, as it is, mi tawa pi tenpo lili tomo is, though more ambiguous.
ala is pretty free floating (well, Mato will note that there are preferred places in most constructions) so mi lon supo lape mi ala is also legit and probably differs, if at all, only in some nuance (e.g., as denial of sina lon supo lape sina).
Native speakers are notoriously bad to consult (rather than observe) since they always claim to speak "correctly," whether they do or not.

jan_Anti

Postby jan_Anti » Sun May 12, 2013 8:39 pm

janSilipu

Postby janSilipu » Mon May 13, 2013 9:33 am

If there is an accepted standard, speakers will claim to meet that standard, whether or not they do when not being questioned . They may even hyper correct, which gives the game away. But on a particular point, we don't have any other way to go than asking. Constructed languages have another way, of course, but it assumes an authority and tp has lacked that most of the time, Sonja has been writing at her book for years and there has been little to show for it -- including no answers to questions of the sort that are constantly arising in the various tp sites. I'm not sure she reads any of them and so I worry that the language her book describes will be like five years out of phase with what we do now (there is no evidence that she has used the English - tp dictionaries that are around, for example).

Return to “kama sona toki”