am I doing this right? [total beginner]

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
tetA

am I doing this right? [total beginner]

Postby tetA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:00 am

Hi, I just encountered the Toki Pona lessons yesterday [I'd heard of the language before, but never explored it] and worked my way through about half of them, skimming the others. It's very pretty!

I know I'll need to practice it a bit to improve, but, as an exercise, I tried to translate a line from a book I know -- please let
me know how badly I've messed it up!

I think I'll omit the original text for now, as I'm also curious how clear this is to someone who doesn't know the original -- of course, maybe you'll recognize it, anyway.

tenpo pini la jan pi pana sona Tafon li pana e sona ni: tenpo suno li lili. pali li suli. jan pali mute li wile ala pali. mani pali li mute. jan lawa tomo li wile e mute.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

pona.

janMato

Re: am I doing this right? [total beginner]

Postby janMato » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:59 am

By any chance do you remember how many hours of study it took to write this?
tetA wrote:tenpo pini la jan pi pana sona Tapon li pana e sona ni: tenpo suno li lili. pali li suli. jan pali mute li wile ala pali. mani pali li mute. jan lawa tomo li wile e mute.
pona.

Here is the translation:

The scientist/wise man Tapon taught this: (Our) days are numbered (i.e. few). There is a lot of work to do. Workers don't want to work. Wages are high. The boss at the office or factory wants a lot.

o kama pona lon ma pi toki pona! tenpo ale la sin li lili. taso toki ale li pona tawa mi mute.

Welcome to tp land. It's always a slow news day, but we like talk anyhow.

tetA

Postby tetA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:44 am

Thank you very much! That was very helpful!

janMato wrote:By any chance do you remember how many hours of study it took to write this?

If you mean total time learning Toki Pona, I'd say I'd spent 3-4 hours from the time I started reading the lessons until the time I completed this -- though note I didn't write it off the top of my head, but scoured the word list, skimmed the lessons looking for the grammatical forms I needed and sample sentences that looked the same [finding a sentence in the list of translated examples http://rowa.giso.de/languages/toki-pona ... ionary.php
that included a way to express "lazy"], etc.

I still don't have everything down solidly, but I can decode some sentences quickly and others more slowly with the
aid of the dictionary and occasional peeks at the lessons. I'm **nowhere** near fluency.

It looks like my biggest mistake was forgetting the "f" wasn't a letter in the language when trying to TokiPona-ify the name "Tarfon" {I knew I had to get rid of the "r", at least]. I thought that was easy so I did it off the top of my head without checking. oops!

janMato wrote:The scientist/wise man Tapon taught this: (Our) days are numbered (i.e. few). There is a lot of work to do. Workers don't want to work. Wages are high. The boss at the office or factory wants a lot.

The original text [well, a fairly close english translation of the original text] was:
Rabbi Tarfon taught: The day is short, the task is large, the workers are lazy, the reward is great, and the Master of the house is demanding.

I was shooting for "teacher" with "jan pi pana sona", which seemed like the best approximation for "Rabbi". And I deliberately
used "mani pali" for "reward" as it's meant to be reward for the work (and I couldn't think of how to put it otherwise, anyway).
[actually, I'm informed bythe hebrew speaker I live with that the word in the original text would literally be "wages" anyway]

Thanks again!

aikidave

Postby aikidave » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi tetA,
Welcome to the world of TP. I have been doing TP for about 2 years now. Learning the basics of the language is relatively easy; learning to translate other people's writing takes more time and practice.
There was a discussion here a few months back on how long it took people to learn TP. That is why jan Mato asked you how long you studied to get this far. If you can note how long it takes you to get through all the lessons and learn the vocabulary, that would be a great addition to our 'database'.

tetA wrote:tenpo pini la jan pi pana sona Tafon li pana e sona ni: tenpo suno li lili. pali li suli. jan pali mute li wile ala pali. mani pali li mute. jan lawa tomo li wile e mute.

I read this as:
"In the past, the teacher Tafon taught this: The days are few. The work is important. Many workers do not want to work. Wages are a lot. The leader of the house wants much."

Good job writing! I mess up all the time with unofficial words. I keep using letters which are not in the TP alphabet!
Keep studying, writing and asking questions.

Return to “kama sona toki”