My business trip to Florida

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
aikidave

My business trip to Florida

Post by aikidave »

mi tawa ma tomo San Petepuka. ma tomo ni li lon ma lili Powita. tenpo esun wan la mi pali lon ma tomo ni. seli mute li lon. tenpo suno ali la mi pali lon tomo pali. tenpo pimeja la mi tawa noka lon ma tomo. tomo moku mute li lon. mi moku e kala sin mute. mi tawa noka poka telo. mi lukin e tomo tawa telo. ona li wawa kon. ona li jo e palisa suli tawa len kon. linja li utala e palisa. ona li kalama. mi kon e kon telo. waso telo li kalama.

Corrections / suggestions please. Below is what I was trying to say.

I traveled to St Petersburg. This city is in Florida. For one week I worked in this city. It was very hot. All day long, I worked at the office building. At night, I walked in the city. There are many resteraunts. I ate a lot of fresh fish. I walked by the water. I looked at the boats. They are sailboats (wind powered). They have tall masts for sails. The ropes hit the masts. They make noise. I smell the ocean air. The sea birds are noisy.
Last edited by aikidave on Sun May 09, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jan Josan

Re: My business trip to Florida

Post by jan Josan »

Pona a! Maybe ma tomo Petepuka or something? (no 'r' or 'b')
kala, not kalama
jan Ote

Post by jan Ote »

jan Josan wrote:Maybe ma tomo Petepuka or something? (no 'r' or 'b')
Or even "Petepu" to preserve a rhythm, a number of syllabes? It depends on pronounciation. I pronounce the name of Russian Petersburg just like it is written ("traditional latin" pronounciation, see Interlingua). The same for this city in Florida, but I suppose Americans pronounce it differently, closer to "-berg", so maybe "Petepe"?
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

jan Ote wrote:Or even "Petepu" to preserve a rhythm, a number of syllabes?
Good suggestion. We should probably be keeping track somewhere of the additional proper names and place names as they come up. It's helpful to have them standardized. 'pu' seems closeser to 'berg' than 'pe' to my ears at least.