pipi musi en pipi pali

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
jan Ote

pipi musi en pipi pali

Post by jan Ote »

based on viewtopic.php?f=33&t=615

pipi musi en pipi pali
pipi musi en pipi pali li lon ma sama.
tenpo seli ali la pipi pali li pali mute li pali e tomo.
ona li pali mute li kama jo e moku.
tenpo sama la pipi musi li musi li kalama musi.
tenpo lete li kama.
pipi musi li jo ala e tomo anu moku.
ona li tawa sinpin tomo pi pipi pali li toki e ni:
 "mi wile moku. o pana e moku tawa mi.
 mi pilin lete. o open e lupa. mi wile awen lon tomo sina."
taso pipi pali li toki e ni:
 "tenpo seli ali la sina kalama musi.
 tenpo ni la o tawa musi!"

1. Can you see any improvements to the text, fable or dialogue, please?
2. Can "anu" be used this way?
jan Josan

Re: pipi musi en pipi pali

Post by jan Josan »

pona a! mi ken sona pona e sitelen sina. mi pilin e ni: sina kepeken pona e nimi 'anu'.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

pipi musi en pipi pali
pipi musi en pipi pali li lon ma sama.
tenpo seli ali la pipi pali li pali mute li pali e tomo.
ona li pali mute li kama jo e moku.
tenpo sama la pipi musi li musi li kalama musi.
tenpo lete li kama.
pipi musi li jo ala e tomo anu moku.

Maybe 'e tomo e moku' (depends on how DeMorganish the rewrite rules are).

ona li tawa sinpin tomo pi pipi pali li toki e ni:
 "mi wile moku. o pana e moku tawa mi.

Does he want to eat (what this says) or want food, 'wile e moku'? Like it makes a difference?

mi pilin lete. o open e lupa. mi wile awen lon tomo sina."
taso pipi pali li toki e ni:
 "tenpo seli ali la sina kalama musi.
 tenpo ni la o tawa musi!"

1. Can you see any improvements to the text, fable or dialogue, please?
2. Can "anu" be used this way?
Yes
The zinger is not very zingy in that going to the fun place is not much of a punishment nor an accurate forecast. I suppose you mean "Face the music." Like most idioms, it loses everything in the translation.
jan Ote

Post by jan Ote »

janKipo wrote:Maybe 'e tomo e moku' (depends on how DeMorganish the rewrite rules are).
I just do not know. "anu' seems to be safer.
janKipo wrote:Does he want to eat (what this says) or want food, 'wile e moku'?
Both. He says: 'I want to eat' (I'm hungry). Then he asks to give him some food.
janKipo wrote:The zinger is not very zingy in that going to the fun place is not much of a punishment nor an accurate forecast. I suppose you mean "Face the music." Like most idioms, it loses everything in the translation.
Unfortunatelly I do not understand what you mean. Where is an idiom and what is lost? All summer an ant was building a house and gathering food, so in winter -- he can seat in his house and eat his food. All summer a grasshopper was playing melodies, so in winter -- he can dance to his music. Let him dance! 'A man sows, so shall he reap'.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

jan Ote wrote:
janKipo wrote:Maybe 'e tomo e moku' (depends on how DeMorganish the rewrite rules are).
I just do not know. "anu' seems to be safer.
Only if the 'not' expands before the 'or' I don't know what's right here either.
janKipo wrote:Does he want to eat (what this says) or want food, 'wile e moku'?
Both. He says: 'I want to eat' (I'm hungry). Then he asks to give him some food.['quote]
OK the, Just checking (dropped 'e's are a recurrent problem.
janKipo wrote:The zinger is not very zingy in that going to the fun place is not much of a punishment nor an accurate forecast. I suppose you mean "Face the music." Like most idioms, it loses everything in the translation.
Unfortunately I do not understand what you mean. Where is an idiom and what is lost? All summer an ant was building a house and gathering food, so in winter -- he can seat in his house and eat his food. All summer a grasshopper was playing melodies, so in winter -- he can dance to his music. Let him dance! 'As man sows, so shall he reap'.
Sorry. In (American) English, "Face the music" means "accept the consequences of your action, take the punishment due you" and 'o tawa musi' looks a lot like that but doesn't quite make it -- and obviously wasn't how you were trying to get there anyhow . It also means 'go pleasantly" or something like that, which is also not what you meant. 'o sina musi' "May you enjoy" is probably closer. Ouch! I just saw in my own dictionary that 'tawa musi' is the used expression for "dance." Sorry! I might (in the light of this) have said 'o awen tawa musi' "Keep on dancing." I do think that the "keep on" is appropriate here.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

so, what will come next? soweli en ilo lukin? or kulupu 4 pi soweli pi kalama musi? or waso en akesi en kala? the latter one is not really good, because this akesi is a bit exotic.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

sina wile e ona la o pali e ona. lukin la mi ken pali ala e musi. jan ala li pilin e ni: ona li musi. mi la mi sona ala e musi pi toki sina. ken la dog and the pond, Bremen musicians, ??
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janKipo wrote:sina wile e ona la o pali e ona.
??
lukin la mi ken pali ala e musi.

what is "lukin la"?
ken la dog and the pond, Bremen musicians, ??
"pipi musi en pipi pali" and "soweli en kili" are translations from Ivan Andreevich Krylov (1769-1844). "soweli en ilo lukin", "kulupu 4 pi soweli pi kalama musi" and "waso en akesi en kala" are some other fables of him
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

jan-ante wrote:
janKipo wrote:sina wile e ona la o pali e ona.
??
Do what you want {lit "If you want it, make it")
lukin la mi ken pali ala e musi.

what is "lukin la"?
"Apparently. looks like" (NOT official -- I like to mess around)
ken la dog and the pond, Bremen musicians, ??
"pipi musi en pipi pali" and "soweli en kili" are translations from Ivan Andreevich Krylov (1769-1844). "soweli en ilo lukin", "kulupu 4 pi soweli pi kalama musi" and "waso en akesi en kala" are some other fables of him
Fables get around. I know these as coming from Aesop (in variant forms perhaps) and general kiddy lit. Is Krylov translated, do you think.

Why no morals?
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janKipo wrote: "Apparently. looks like" (NOT official -- I like to mess around)
not a straightforward meaning.
Fables get around. I know these as coming from Aesop (in variant forms perhaps) and general kiddy lit. Is Krylov translated, do you think.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... ussiane-21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... ussiane-21