Help converting name

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
jan Kete

Help converting name

Post by jan Kete »

Could someone help me convert my first name to the Toki Pona way of doing things, it is Curt.

janKipo

Re: Help converting name

Post by janKipo »

Oh, bad luck in names -- for this particular exercise, that is. Fully spelled out you get something like Kulutu (or Kuwutu); not too bad but not as snappy as Curt. Since clusters tend to resolve to their dominant element (which is nit usually r or l) we get down to Kutu, which is shorter but maybe a little cutesy. Now, the added vowels here were kept at u because tp seems to work that way, but other are possible Kuti (nah!), Kuto, Kute (which is a word, meaning 'hear') Kuta. Even the initial u might be something else, since it is probably pronounced not high back but mid center in English, so e, a or o might be pretty good. But the final answer is: pick something you like that you think is reminiscent of your name and yet shows your self-image. o pali pona!
jan Ote

Post by jan Ote »

If it is pronounced like [ke^rt] (English approximant "r") then I would say "jan Ke". Or maybe "Kete", to preserve "t". This "r" is weak and hardly heard as a phone by foreigners. [ke^rt] is like [ke-et], so I am not for trying to keep this "r" in toki pona and using a next (third!) syllabe for it.
Tokiponization guidelines:
"It is better to keep the same number of syllables and drop a consonant than add a new vowel."

In my tp name I followed the rules and has been forced to drop out three consonants: one from the front, one from the middle, and one final. Still it's very close to my name, I think.
jan Kete

Post by jan Kete »

I like jan Kete the best. Thanks :)