toki pona in chinese/kanji?

Translation: Toki Pona content in other languages
Tradukado: Tokipono en aliaj lingvoj
janKipo

Re: toki pona in chinese/kanji?

Post by janKipo »

This all starting too sound much more complicated than just typing the Latin letters. Going through either set of board jigglings and adding the need then to retranslate the result into tp just about ruins the whole scheme (lovely as it is) for me. Even a 12 x 12 matrix with tp words in the nodes and a punch character producer would be less effective than just that same matrix and sending two dodecimal numerals for each word -- and that (by saving steps) is less appealing that the two letter codes for tp, which doesn't appeal at all.
Still is pretty, though.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

母 -yes this is better/more traditional and has a nice etymology and probably extends to Japanese better I'm guessing. 媽/妈 is a sound loan (you know the old example of getting Chinese tones wrong and calling someone's mother a horse). The one nice thing is the sound loan translates to toki pona too.

犭-I thought of this and it would be my choice, but it's hard to produce as it's not in many input methods.

$- Someone in Russia suggests "$" should represent material wealth? What is this world coming to?

見 -- this works too. (mutants, as in giant eye on legs?) I like that 看 is a hand held over the eye, looking into the horizon.
the input method is a big issue. i have no chinese support on my phone and i dont plan to have.the input from computer with a tool like NJstar is not impressive: we have to type the phonetically irrelevant words, this could make a mess in one's head.may be we need a software which will convert latin-based tp or 2-letter codes to hanzi. may be menue-driven interface could be helpful if we arrange the words into suitable groups, 5-10 words per group and 16-20 groups represented by buttons/icons, arranged 4x4 or 4x5
Yes this is a big hastle, especially typing phonetically. Even though I know most of the pinyin already, I don't think I could ever comfortably think in tp and then type in pinyin. Not to mention how much it would ruin what little Chinese that I do have. A touch screen keyboard as you are describing would work well.
janMato

Post by janMato »

For my narrow use case I would be typing roman letters in one box (not the pinjin or romanji-Japanese equivalents), clicking transliterate and then pasting into toki lili or twitter.

A touch screen app would be handy for this sort of typing though.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

janKipo wrote:This all starting too sound much more complicated than just typing the Latin letters. Going through either set of board jigglings and adding the need then to retranslate the result into tp just about ruins the whole scheme (lovely as it is) for me. Even a 12 x 12 matrix with tp words in the nodes and a punch character producer would be less effective than just that same matrix and sending two dodecimal numerals for each word -- and that (by saving steps) is less appealing that the two letter codes for tp, which doesn't appeal at all.
Still is pretty, though.
jan Mato's original concern was single characters for tweeting, and this could pack in even twice what the two letter codes can do. But I agree, until we can just type 'pa' and choose from 打工支米给 or 'pak' and have it pop in 打 this won't have a very practical application.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

janMato wrote:For my narrow use case I would be typing roman letters in one box (not the pinjin or romanji-Japanese equivalents), clicking transliterate and then pasting into toki lili or twitter.

A touch screen app would be handy for this sort of typing though.
Ah yes, a little application that could translate toki pona into the characters, and translate tweets back into toki pona would be the best. Then the characters could be learned in time without the frustration of memorizing 120 漢字。And proper names would just stay in Latin letters.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Even that looks tedious:2-5 letters then selecting a character. To be able to get 140 words into a twitter page seems not a very practical goal, given that twitter is designed for about 30 and we so better than that with the two-letter version. Of course, the real solution is not to use twitter, etc. at all, but stick to media that don't have arbitrary (as far as is obvious) text limits. The point has always escaped me.
Or have a speech recognizer that takes tp to kanji at one end and kanji to tp - written - at the other. But then, why not telephone or at least eliminate the kanji?
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

jan Josan wrote:犭-I thought of this and it would be my choice, but it's hard to produce as it's not in many input methods.
but we need a special input method anyway
$- Someone in Russia suggests "$" should represent material wealth? What is this world coming to?
only a few % suggest this. for russians the material wealth is associated with real estate.
this word is coming to money as the label of value and the tool of bluf. what was surprising to me in this forum, many americans consider the money as the means, or even job, buisiness.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Someone posted a toki pona to tp-ized Chinese transliterator!

http://onclepom.u7n.org/tokiPona/tpTranscriber.php
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

And, jan Jopi assures, is working on tother way 'round.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janMato wrote:Someone posted a toki pona to tp-ized Chinese transliterator!
at current version it is a japanese transliterator. btw, the hiragana symbol for o is missing