How to say "left" and "right"?

Archives from the old Yahoo! group
Arĥivoj de la malnova Yahoo!-grupo
Rick Miller

Re: How to say "left" and "right"?

Post by Rick Miller »

There is already an arbitrary definition of left and right in Toki Pona.The written form of the language goes from left to right.Therefore the most logical differentiation between left and rightwould be "poka pi nanpa wan" and "poka pi nanpa tu" (side#1 andside#2), from the viewpoint of the person doing the looking.
Joel Yliluoma

Post by Joel Yliluoma »

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Rick Miller wrote:> There is already an arbitrary definition of left and right in Toki Pona.> The written form of the language goes from left to right.>> Therefore the most logical differentiation between left and right> would be "poka pi nanpa wan" and "poka pi nanpa tu" (side#1 and> side#2), from the viewpoint of the person doing the looking.That sounds clever enough that I'd agree with it :)--Bisqwit
Rodrigo PORTELA SÁNCHEZ

Post by Rodrigo PORTELA SÁNCHEZ »

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Rick Miller wrote:> > There is already an arbitrary definition of left and right in Toki Pona.> > The written form of the language goes from left to right.jan li ken sitelen e toki pona kepeken nasin sitelen ante. nasinsitelen li lon ala insa toki. kin la jan pi lukin ala li lon li kenala sona e ni tan sitelen: poka nanpa wan en poka nanpa tu li seme.taso ona li ken sona e ni tan pilin luka.mi pilin e ni: toki pi poka tu kepeken pilin (kepeken ilo sijelo pitelo loje) li pona: "poka pilin" en "poka pi pilin ala". jan ante lilon li jo e pilin lon poka ante; tenpo pini la mi sona ala e ni; tasojan li pana e sona lon ni (pona!). jan ona (jan pi pilin lon pokaante) li ken kepeken e nasin toki ante. ni li pona la jan ali kin liken kepeken e nasin toki pona ante: jan Italija en jan Epanja li lonpoka tu tawa jan ante la ona li ken kepeken e nimi "poka pi janItalija" e nimi "poka pi jan Epanja". supa lape en supa moku li lonpoka tu tawa jan la ona li ken toki e nimi "poka (pi supa) lape" enimi "poka (pi supa) moku". jan li ken kepeken e toki mute kin! jan liwile ala wile jo e nasin toki wan taso pi poka tu? ona li wile la nili tan seme? ijo mute mute li lon, jan li ken kepeken e ijo ali lontoki ona. mi kin li pilin e ni.jan Loliko
John E Clifford

Post by John E Clifford »

Though I don't like this version, why not use the simpler form to the same effect: 'poka open' and 'poka pini'?----- Original Message ----From: Rick Miller <rdmiller3@gmail.com>To: tokipona@yahoogroups.comSent: Monday, March 31, 2008 6:54:08 PMSubject: Re: [tokipona] How to say "left" and "right"?There is already an arbitrary definition of left and right in Toki Pona.The written form of the language goes from left to right.Therefore the most logical differentiation between left and rightwould be "poka pi nanpa wan" and "poka pi nanpa tu" (side#1 andside#2), from the viewpoint of the person doing the looking. You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you ">one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.
Rick Miller

Post by Rick Miller »

Personally, I don't think there's much need for "left" and "right" in Toki Pona.Can anyone think of a situation where they're necessary?
Sven Walper

Post by Sven Walper »

jan mute o, pona!tenpo ni la, mi sona e ni: jan li ken kepeken e nimi mute tan toki ponapi nimi "left" en nimi "right". taso nimi pona li lon ala.jan li wile e nimi "left" e nimi "right" tan seme? - ken la, jan liwile pana sona e nasin tawa tomo.
AJK

Re: Re: How to say "left" and "right"?

Post by AJK »

ni li lon la jan li ken kepeken e poka tomo, e poka tawa, e poka piilo suno... jan li lukin la jan li ken pana e poka :)On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Sven Walper <Eingang@penzeng.de> wrote:> jan mute o, pona!>> tenpo ni la, mi sona e ni: jan li ken kepeken e nimi mute tan toki pona> pi nimi "left" en nimi "right". taso nimi pona li lon ala.>> jan li wile e nimi "left" e nimi "right" tan seme? - ken la, jan li> wile pana sona e nasin tawa tomo.>>>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>--http://iompostiom.net/trovu-la-ringon-perditan
MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com

Post by MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com »

In a message dated 4/3/2008 10:40:06 AM Central Daylight Time, akesi_palisa@yahoo.de writes:On either half of the earth, the sun "moves" from left to right, provided you look southwards. So, poka pi kama suno = left, poka pi tawa (anu weka) suno = right. Reference to the sun is pointless for left and right, since left and right are local references.  How do you tell somebody to face southward in Toki Pona?The definitions above are for "east" and "west", not "left" and "right".jan Setepo / stevo
MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com

Post by MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com »

In a message dated 4/3/2008 11:58:19 AM Central Daylight Time, rdmiller3@gmail.com writes:I'm still waiting for someone to give an example where "left" and"right" would be useful in Toki Pona.I don't know of any.  In any given situation, one can point this way or that way.  Even if the other person goes or looks the wrong way, just say "ike, poka ante" or "poka sama ala". jan Setepo / stevo
Alex

Post by Alex »

Well, toki pona, is mostly dedicated for simple discourse, to befastly learned and usable. So it's designed firstly for "survival"sentences. "I am ..." "I feel sick", "I need a biere", etc... In this category, I put also the fact to ask his way when you are ina foreign country. (Ok, the probability to find a tokiponist in Newyork is very low, but no matter). So in that sense, "left" and "right",are really needed.--- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Miller" <rdmiller3@...> wrote:>> Personally, I don't think there's much need for "left" and "right" inToki Pona.>> Can anyone think of a situation where they're necessary?>