Word requests / Petoj pri vortoj

Archives from the old Yahoo! group
Arĥivoj de la malnova Yahoo!-grupo
Marcos Cramer

Re: Re: Word requests / Petoj pri vortoj

Post by Marcos Cramer »

Just as "luka" can be used for "five", since our hands have five fingers, we could use "jan" to mean twenty, since a person has twenty fingers (counting the toes too). Thus we can more easily talk of older people's age:tenpo jan jan luka luka tu wan la mama mije mi li sike e suno. What do people think of that? Of course, this system should be avoided even more than the system with "luka", but at least it could give us some means of talking about people's age without introducing new words or switching the language, when we really feel the need to be that precise.jan Moku.
spad0103

Re: Word requests / Petoj pri vortoj

Post by spad0103 »

Thank you for your answers!--- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, "Sonja Elen Kisa" <sonja@...> wrote:> tenpo suno seme la sina lon?> How old are you?This means "Which day were you born". How can I ask the age ofsomeone, not his birthday?I've read you wanted to add the word "powe" for something false orimaginary. It could be useful to create words like "theater"...(musi powe?)I thought of another word which would mean the "ego", "self", "own",because Toki Pona doesn't have reflexive voice and pronoun like inthe sentences "he's watching himself (and not somebody else)" or "Hetake his own(not her) hand". I called it "sipi" (as it is "sibi" inLatin). Then it would be "ona li lukin e sipi (pi ona)" (he watcheshis ego) and "ona li jo e luka sipi (pi ona)" (he takes his ego'shand). It would also be used to compound words like "egoism"(nasin/pilin sipi) and so on...What do you think?
MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com

Post by MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com »

In a message dated 1/20/2007 11:30:18 AM Central Standard Time, clifford-j@sbcglobal.net writes:> Sorry I meant tenpo sike instead of tenpo suno.> > > > tenpo suno seme la sina lon?> > > How old are you?> > .tenpo (number) la … li sike suno    â€¦ is (number) years oldso "tenpo seme la sina sike suno"?This has always struck me as an odd example for a Toki Pona lesson.  Using big numbers in the answer is discouraged, yet nobody seems to consider just "tenpo mute/lili la ... " instead of using numbers there.jan Setepo / stevo
John E Clifford

Post by John E Clifford »

--- kate rhodes <masukomi@gmail.com> wrote:> On 1/20/07, Russ Williams <cxiomortas@gmail.com> wrote:> > On 1/20/07, Sonja Elen Kisa <sonja@kisa.ca> wrote:> > > The speed one a valid question. I guess there's wawa for intensity. Or> > > maybe there's a need for a word for speed.> >> > Shouldn't it be possible somehow with lili and mute?> > Cxu ne eblas iel per lili kaj mute?> >> > soweli li tawa mute = the animal is moving quickly = besto iras rapide>> I think a more common translation would be that the animal was moving a lot.>> > soweli li tawa lili = the animal is moving slowly = besto iras malrapide>> And that it wasn't moving much at all.>> I think Sonja's suggestion for using wawa is probably the closest we> can currently get but that's more about strength and energy than> speed.>> >> > mi lukin e soweli tawa mute = I am watching the fast animal = mi> > spektas rapidan beston>> You could also be watching an animal that just won't sit still. Ants> tawa mute e tenpo ali.lon tenpo ali? time is a hard thing to move because it is one of the media ofmotion.> > Possibly I'm abusing grammar or something here, but would those work?> > (Of course tawa mute might also mean moves a lot, but hey that's the> > ambiguous spirit of toki pona, right?)>> There's a difference between conveying information ambiguously and not> conveying it at all.>> --> - kate = masukomi> http://weblog.masukomi.org/>
John E Clifford

--- spad0103 <spad0103@yahoo.fr> wrote:> Thank you for your answers!>> --- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, "Sonja Elen Kisa" <sonja@...> wrote:> > tenpo suno seme la sina lon?> > How old are you?>> This means "Which day were you born". How can I ask the age of> someone, not his birthday?>> I've read you wanted to add the word "powe" for something false or> imaginary. It could be useful to create words like "theater"...> (musi powe?)>> I thought of another word which would mean the "ego", "self", "own",> because Toki Pona doesn't have reflexive voice and pronoun like in> the sentences "he's watching himself (and not somebody else)" or "He> take his own(not her) hand". I called it "sipi" (as it is "sibi" in> Latin). Then it would be "ona li lukin e sipi (pi ona)" (he watches> his ego) and "ona li jo e luka sipi (pi ona)" (he takes his ego's> hand). It would also be used to compound words like "egoism"> (nasin/pilin sipi) and so on...>> What do you think?>"nasin mi" or some such? maybe "nasin pilin mi" or so?Reflexive voice is pretty automatic for transitive verbs with suppressed objects(see notes ontawa and the like.)

In a message dated 1/20/2007 12:05:53 PM Central Standard Time, spad0103@yahoo.fr writes:When you want to say "He's talking about himself", you can't say "ona li pilin e ona", which can be "He's talking about him/her" too. It can't either be "ona li pilin e mi" (He's thinking about me) or "ona li toki" (He's just talking)...How is "ona li pilin e ona" equivalent to "He's talking about him/her"?I read it as "He/she feels (or thinks about) him/her/it".stevo

In a message dated 1/20/2007 12:35:38 PM Central Standard Time, clifford-j@sbcglobal.net writes:The revised form. with "tenpo sike" is better in a way, since itsliteral meaning is so obscure that one immediately assumes that it is an idiom -- for "year"again, I suppose (so still scientific though less precise)."tenpo sike" is a good term for "cycle", which in a broad and very basic sense is "year".jan Setepo / stevo

In a message dated 1/20/2007 2:56:57 PM Central Standard Time, MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com writes:When you want to say "He's talking about himself", you can't say "ona li pilin e ona", which can be "He's talking about him/her" too. It can't either be "ona li pilin e mi" (He's thinking about me) or "ona li toki" (He's just talking)... How is "ona li pilin e ona" equivalent to "He's talking about him/her"? I read it as "He/she feels (or thinks about) him/her/it". stevo The original example uses "talk about" translated as "pilin e" (which I think uses the wrong verb).  But how can you say "talk about" (i.e., include the focus of "talk")?  "toki e" is used to refer to the speech itself (language or words), not the subject (focus).  Or is there a word/phrase for 'about'?jan Setepo / stevo
Sonja Elen Kisa

Re: Word requests / Petoj pri vortoj

Post by Sonja Elen Kisa »

Sorry I meant tenpo sike instead of tenpo suno.> > tenpo suno seme la sina lon?> > How old are you?
John E Clifford

--- Sonja Elen Kisa <sonja@kisa.ca> wrote:> Sorry I meant tenpo sike instead of tenpo suno.>> > > tenpo suno seme la sina lon?> > > How old are you?>> .tenpo (number) la … li sike suno … is (number) years oldso "tenpo seme la sina sike suno"?