every day words

Archives from the old Yahoo! group
Arĥivoj de la malnova Yahoo!-grupo
rowar12345

every day words

Post by rowar12345 »

Hi,- what is "hi" in toki pona? -I like the idea of toki pona. This is a very easy and cute language.It is not necessary to have complex language for personalinternational communication. If you would like to talk about complexthings you have to use English for international communication.But I found an other advantage. toki pona is good to handle with acomputer. It is not too difficult to create a text editor with syntaxhighlighting for toki pona. Spell checking is very easy and a speechsynthesiser has only to give out wave-files for every word. A computercan easy analyse the structure of the sentences. Easy than Esperanto.I have started to learn toki pona but I didn't found some every dayphrases. This follow URL show every day word for many languages (incl.the artifical languages Esperanto and Eurisch:http://travlang.com/languages/Why not toki pona?But I thing this version can't handle with numbers and time. But maybein a newer version.Ro
Sonja Elen Kisa

RE: every day words

Post by Sonja Elen Kisa »

Here is a quick list for you...Yes = (repeat the question verb)No = ala, (verb) + alaThank you = ponaThank you very much = pona muteYou're welcome = ale li ponaPlease = mi wile e niExcuse me = oHello = tokiGoodbye = mi tawa (said by person leaving), tawa pona (said by personstaying)So long = pona tawa sinaGood morning = suno ponaGood afternoon = suno ponaGood evening = pimeja ponaGood night = lape ponaI do not understand = mi sona alaHow do you say this in [English]? = ni li seme lon toki Inli?Do you speak ... = sina sona ala sona e ...English = toki InliFrench = toki KanseGerman = toki TosiSpanish = toki EpanjaChinese = toki SonkoEsperanto = toki EpelantoI = miWe = mi, mi mute, sina en mi, mi en onaYou (singular) = sinaYou (plural) = sina, sina muteThey = ona, ona muteWhat is your name? = nimi sina li seme?Nice to meet you. = kan ponaHow are you? = sina pilin seme?Good = ponaBad = ikeSo so = pona liliWife = meliHusband = mijeDaughter = meli liliSon = mije liliMother = mama, mama meliFather = mama, mama mijeFriend = jan ponaWhere is the bathroom? Where is the toilet? = tomo telo li lon seme?
Nikita Ayzikovsky

Re: every day words

Post by Nikita Ayzikovsky »

--- rowar12345 <rowar12345@yahoo.de> wrote:Hi.> But I found an other advantage. toki pona is good to handle with a> computer. It is not too difficult to create a text editor with syntax> highlighting for toki pona.Text highlighting? For a human language? That's just disturbing :)> A computer can easy analyse the structure of the sentences.Actually the word "tawa" makes it practically impossible to reliably analysesentences. Sad but true :( The best a computer can do is guess.__________________________________________________Do You Yahoo!?Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cuphttp://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
yerricde

Post by yerricde »

Nikita Ayzikovsky wrote:> rowar12345 wrote:> > But I found an other advantage. toki pona is good to handle with a> > computer. It is not too difficult to create a text editor with> > syntax highlighting for toki pona.>> Text highlighting? For a human language? That's just disturbing :)Microsoft Word manages to do some primitive analysis on English text;otherwise, it wouldn't be able to grammar-check or auto-summarize adocument. If it can be done for Toki Inli, it can surely be done forToki Pona.> > A computer can easy analyse the structure of the sentences.>> Actually the word "tawa" makes it practically impossible> to reliably analyse sentences. Sad but true :(If you can come up with some examples of sentences where themeanings of <tawa> cause ambiguity, then you will get your nameon my page about Toki Pona, perhaps next to a cute little bomb.http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~yerricde ... iew.htmlOr Sonja might just step in and clarify how to parse <tawa> asshe did for <ala>. (In IRC, sSonjahe explained that unlike most othermodifiers, <ala> = "not" modifies the word immediately preceding it.)--Damian"iglus never required advanced math" -- Sonja Elen Kisa onO(n) numerals
yerricde

Post by yerricde »

--- In tokipona@y..., "rowar12345" <rowar12345@y...> wrote:> But I thing this version can't handle with numbers and time.> But maybe in a newer version.Don't count on it. Sonja says large integers are artificial.(M: is Sonja Elen Kisa; T: is Damian Yerrick)[ snip: discussion about Tetanus On Drugs, http://pineight.com/tod/ ][ snip: discussion about a Flintstones first-person shooter ]T:Is Juuitchan's anti-TP ranto warranted? http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/talk%3ATo ... nteresting rantM:but i dont feel that this person really understands toki ponaM:obviously TP is not for himM:it doesnt suit his way of thinkingT:how does one build a house without large numbers?M:why do you need numbers?T:to measure the proportions of the lengths of thingsT:or are you thinking along the lines of some sort of Euclidean constructionist geometry?M:i dunnoM:TP is not a real language for primitives to useM:it's a language to help us minimize our thoughts and focus on a more natural and healthy life and prioritiesT:so are you saying Juuitchan was on the right track? "but as a sort of filter: 'Can I say this in Toki Pona' "M:yes it is a filterM:it's a therapeutical filterM:if you cant say it easily in TP it's prolly not a healthy thoughtT:so the thoughts that go into building a first-person shooter aren't healthy?M:it's a concept beyond the core basic values of lifeM:it's artificialM:if we lived as real foragers we wouldnt need computer games to entertain ourselvesM:we'd really live lifeM:im not saying we should become foragers tohoughM:TP is just a guideT:the four basic needs: food, water, clothing, shelterM:it's not a strict code or anythingM:also: love, sex, friendsM:work, funT:shelter... construction... measurement... numbers... O(n)...M:moku, telo, len, tomo, olin, unpa, jan, pali, musiM:tp is just a toolM:to guide our thoughts in the right directionM:it's not an authority on what should and should not exst in lifeM:i feel like i shouldnt have to defend this to youT:i feel like i have to defend this to the worldT:and I need ammoM:i seeM:well do you understand what i mean?T:sort ofM:i am a bit tired right now so maybe i dont have the energy to go onT:i'll wait until you have a more detailed response to JuuitchanM:i think if we respond in details to everyones criticism, its very un-TPM:we are playing the same checkmate game as themM:TP lets go; it doesnt try to explain and create problemsM:it just focuses on the simlpe good things that are universalM:there is no use for arguments; they are "toki utala"M:TP is just a concept like any otherM:some will like it; some wont like itM:you can pick it apart up to a certain pointM:but beyond that you are just looking for problems that dont existT:so the problem of "how to build a house" doesn't exist?T:that's about the only remaining problem I can still seeM:i'm sure i can build a basic house without needing advanced mathM:you either have enough (mute pona) bricks or you dontM:or branches or whateverM:http://www.cruithni.org.uk/overview/over_1.htmlM:iglus never required advanced mathT:I begin to get itM:advonced math is a tool you only need if you live in a complicated worldM:and the world is quite simple reallyM:it's just modern humans that have made everything so complicated and artificial in their livesT:How does one ask "how?" in TP?M:nasin semeM:what wayM:http://home.no.net/gedra/igloo_bg.htm--Damian Yerrick
Nikita Ayzikovsky

Re: Re: every day words

Post by Nikita Ayzikovsky »

--- yerricde <oohay@pineight.8m.com> wrote:> If you can come up with some examples of sentences where the> meanings of <tawa> cause ambiguity, then you will get your name> on my page about Toki Pona, perhaps next to a cute little bomb.> http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~yerricde ... iew.htmlmi pana e tomo tawa sina.I give you a house. ORI brought your car.BTW hi tepples, i'm lament :)__________________________________________________Do You Yahoo!?Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cuphttp://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
rowar12345

Post by rowar12345 »

--- In tokipona@y..., "yerricde" <oohay@p...> wrote:> --- In tokipona@y..., "rowar12345" <rowar12345@y...> wrote:> > But I thing this version can't handle with numbers and time.> > But maybe in a newer version.>> Don't count on it. Sonja says large integers are artificial.tokiI think numbers are importand for basic comunications. For exampleappointments. How do you say "Let 's meet 9:30 pm"?.I think it is ok to say it only quarters of hours. But we need mubersfor this.Maybe a lot of people will use toki pona then you can't stop the useof numbers.I think it is good to use a number system as the same as Esperanto.Only 10 Words.pona tawa sinaRO
Yvonna Ware

Post by Yvonna Ware »

> > A computercan easy analyse the structure of the sentences.>> Actually the word "tawa" makes it practically impossible to reliablyanalyse> sentences. Sad but true :( The best a computer can do is guess.Hence the confusion I had when learning Toki Pona. 'tawa' was neverexplained to be a word that broke the rules... I had to read many exampleson the lessons and in IRC before I realized that the word 'tawa' was useddifferently than the others... perhaps I should have realized, but Toki Ponawas so simple otherwise that I truly could not believe that they would haveadded a word that broke the rules.
yerricde

Post by yerricde »

--- In tokipona@y..., "rowar12345" <rowar12345@y...> wrote:> --- In tokipona@y..., "yerricde" <oohay@p...> wrote:> > --- In tokipona@y..., "rowar12345" <rowar12345@y...> wrote:> > > But I thing this version can't handle with numbers and time.> > > But maybe in a newer version.> >> > Don't count on it. Sonja says large integers are artificial.>> I think numbers are importand for basic comunications. For example> appointments. How do you say "Let 's meet 9:30 pm"?.It's un-<pona> to break the day that fine. One would say somethingmore along the lines <tenpo pimeja la mi lukin e sina> = "let's meetafter dark."> I think it is ok to say it only quarters of hours.Dividing the day and night up into 96 units? Blecch. Not simple.Not cute. Not <pona>.> I think it is good to use a number system as the same as Esperanto.> Only 10 Words.If you want Esperanto, you know where to find it ;-)--tepplesFalse friend: "pona" is Samoan for "faulty"http://www.samoalive.com/NFL/P.htm
Yvonna Ware

Re: Re: every day words

Post by Yvonna Ware »

> I think numbers are importand for basic comunications. For example> appointments. How do you say "Let 's meet 9:30 pm"?.Toki Pona is very deliberately designed to be minimalistic. As few words aspossible to explain all the things that matter... to Sonja. Rememberthat Toki Pona was NOT created to be a useful, every day language foreveryone. It was created as a hobby for Sonja and her roommate with thespecific agenda of making a language so simple that it is difficult toexpress complicated ideas... ideas that are not within the Tao.I think the language is cute and fun, and I am making an honest effort tolearn it... though I do not hold to Sonja's belief structure. But I dounderstand the bias of the language, and accept it. Do not try to changeToki Pona just because it cannot do what you want it to... it was notDESIGNED to do what you are asking, not as a flaw, but as a feature.If you wish to learn an easy, general purpose language, Esperanto is a moresuitable choice for you. If you want to learn a cute, but limited languageonly used by a few dozen people in the world, then Toki Pona may be yourchoice (there are other mini-languages that you may wish to look at though).But accept the limitations of TP before you suggest 'improvements.'Yvonna