Toki!

Archives from the old Yahoo! group
Arĥivoj de la malnova Yahoo!-grupo
n649po

Toki!

Post by n649po »

Hello everyone, I just started learning Toki Pona today, and was worried when Iread that the lessons were wrong. I read all of them today. :) So, myquestion is this:Is this conlang spoken by so many people that it has been developinginto dialects even in a chat room? When I read the lessons, did Ilearn incorrect Toki Pona?Thank you for your time and answersToki Pona li toki pona mute. mi sona ala e sona e Toki Pona?
Pije

Re: Toki!

Post by Pije »

> Is this conlang spoken by so many people that it has beendeveloping> into dialects even in a chat room? When I read the lessons, did I> learn incorrect Toki Pona?I wouldn't say that you've learned INCORRECT Toki Pona so much asyou've learned INCOMPLETE Toki Pona. I'd say that the website is, byfar, not up to date with the changes that have taken place in thepast year or so in Toki Pona. However, what's on Toki Pona is, forthe most part, correct, although you still need to know aconsiderable amount more before you can say that you've got a stronggrasp on Toki Pona.Personally, the dialect differences aren't very noticeable; Marraskuuseldom comes to the chat room, and so I rarely get an opportunity tocompare the chat room Toki Pona to anything else. However, during thefew times that Marraskuu HAS come, he has made quite a fewsuggestions on things that should be changed in how to speak. So, itseems that differences do exist. As time has passed, thesedifferences have more than likely widened, but I do not know to whatextent if at all.This isn't exactly the best type of topic to use Toki Pona to talkabout, but unless there's anyone on the list who doesn't know Englishwell, maybe this will give you the general idea:lipu Tokipona.org li pona. taso ona li pana ala e sona ali pi tokipona. ijo sin li kama tawa toki pona. sina wile sona e ijo sin ni.toki pona ante li lon.
kurum3@aol.com

Re: toki!

Post by kurum3@aol.com »

mi lukin e lipu sina. sina ken toki kepeken toki pona. ni li pona! :)ma Tominika li seme? ken la ona li ma "Dominican Republic" anu "la República Dominicana".  sina kama tan ma seme?sina sona e toki seme? mi sona e toki Inli (English) e toki pona (Toki Pona) e toki Epanja lili (a little Spanish, un poco de español).o kama tawa tomo toki pi toki pona: irc://irc.freenode.net/tokipona -- sina sona ala kama tawa tomo toki la o toki tawa mi.I saw your message. You speak Toki Pona quite well. That's good. :)What nation is Tominika? Did you mean the Dominican Republic?What languages do you know? I can talk with you in English, Toki Pona, and Spanish a little bit.Come by the TP chat room: irc://irc.freenode.net/tokipona -- If you can't figure out how to get there, tell me.Vi lo que escribiste. Puedes hablar un poco del tokipona. Esto es muy bueno. :)¿Cuál país es Tominika? ¿Es Tominika la República Dominicana? De dónde eres?¿Cuales lenguas sabes? Sé el ingles, el tokipona, y un poco de español.Ven al chatroom de Toki Pona. Está en irc://irc.freenode.net/tokipona -- Si no comprendes venir al chatroom, e-mail a mi.
Rafael Despradel

toki!

Post by Rafael Despradel »

Brattleboro, Vermonttoki!mi Lafa, mi jan pona mutema pi mi li TominikaTominika li lilijan Tominika li pona mutemi tawa tomo mokumi moku ala e kili jelomi moku e waso nasa!toki pona li toki pona!jan Lafa-------" Ju pli ni estas kune, des pli da simpati' "_________________________________________________________________The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
Raven Silverwings

toki!

Post by Raven Silverwings »

tenpo ni la mi ken toki kepeken toki pona!!Is it ok if I use a hyphen in reference to tomo-tawa to avoidconfusion? or is it against thew law of toki-pona?mi wile pona tawa sina!!mi tawa.
Damian Yerrick

Post by Damian Yerrick »

--- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, "Raven Silverwings"<silverwings_88@y...> wrote:> tenpo ni la mi ken toki kepeken toki pona!!>> Is it ok if I use a hyphen in reference to tomo-tawa to avoid> confusion? or is it against thew law of toki-pona?I haven't seen hyphenated compounds in Toki Pona. But still,the suggestion to hyphenate some compounds _would_ disambiguatethe confusion in that <tawa> can mean either "next noun or pronounis the indirect object" or "moving, modifying previous noun".Test case follows:<ona li pona e tomo tawa sina.> she NOM fix ACC house mobile your"She fixes your car."<ona li pona e tomo tawa sina.> she NOM fix ACC house for you"She fixes up the house for you."Does Toki Pona have a way of distinguishing these?
Kevin Goodman

Post by Kevin Goodman »

--- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, "Damian Yerrick" <tepples@s...> wrote:> --- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, "Raven Silverwings"> <silverwings_88@y...> wrote:> > tenpo ni la mi ken toki kepeken toki pona!!> >> > Is it ok if I use a hyphen in reference to tomo-tawa to avoid> > confusion? or is it against thew law of toki-pona?>> I haven't seen hyphenated compounds in Toki Pona. But still,> the suggestion to hyphenate some compounds _would_ disambiguate> the confusion in that <tawa> can mean either "next noun or pronoun> is the indirect object" or "moving, modifying previous noun".> Test case follows:>> <ona li pona e tomo tawa sina.>> she NOM fix ACC house mobile your> "She fixes your car.">> <ona li pona e tomo tawa sina.>> she NOM fix ACC house for you> "She fixes up the house for you.">> Does Toki Pona have a way of distinguishing these?yes, it is called context. :P
Corey

toki!

Post by Corey »

toki tawa jan ali! mi kama sona e toki pona kepeken lipu pi janPije. toki pona li pona mute tawa mi! mi wile kama jo e jan ponamute kepeken toki pona.nimi mi li jan "Corey". taso mi wile kepeken e nimi mi pi toki pona.ona li jan Kowi.mi tawa tenpo ni.tan,jan Kowi----lon toki Inla:Hello everyone! I am learning toki pona using Pije's site. I reallylike Toki Pona! I want to make many friends with Toki Pona.My name is Corey, but I want to use my Toki Pona name. It is Kowi.I have to go now. (I think plain "goodbye" is boring considering Ihad to use four words :P)By,Kowi----tawa jan Inli:PSPlease tell me if I made any mistakes in my Toki Pona in yourresponse. I really am a perfectionist and I want to make sureeverything is as good as it can be. Just remember I haven't finishedall the lessons yet! (although I probably will have by the end ofthe day)
Philip Newton

Post by Philip Newton »

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:14:38 -0000, Corey <n649po@yahoo.com> wrote:> nimi mi li jan "Corey".I probably would have said {nimi mi li "Corey"} - I'd consider {janKowi} to refer to a person and {Kowi} to be the name itself. (InLojban, the difference between {la koris.} and {zo koris.} - {zo koriscmene mi}, not {la koris cmene mi}, which would mean "My name isCorey" [i.e. "The thing that is my name is the same as the person thatis called 'Corey' - the name is a person] rather than "My name is'Corey'". [i.e. "The thing that is my name is 'Corey'" - the name is aword]).However, I'm not certain how (or whether) Toki Pona makes thisdistinction. Still, "nimi mi li jan XYZ" seems wrong to me.In fact, to introduce myself, I'd probably just say "mi jan Pili",using "jan" as a verb meaning "to be a person", or jan + modifier as averb meaning "to be a person with a certain name".> mi tawa tenpo ni."tenpo ni la mi tawa" is, I think, how you'd say "I go now". "tenpo"is only glossed with noun meanings on the word list I have, so I'm notsure whether your sentence (where "tenpo" modifies "tawa") isgrammatical or what meaning it has.Simply "mi tawa" is probably enough, though - is it really importantto say that it is *now* that you are going? Keep things simple :) aleli pona.> PS> Please tell me if I made any mistakes in my Toki Pona in your> response. I really am a perfectionist and I want to make sure> everything is as good as it can be. Just remember I haven't finished> all the lessons yet! (although I probably will have by the end of> the day)mi sona ala ale pi toki pona. mi kin kama sona e toki pona.Cheers,--Philip Newton <philip.newton@gmail.com>
Kevyn Scott Kateri Calanza Bello

toki!

Post by Kevyn Scott Kateri Calanza Bello »

mi pilin ike tan ni: jan li lon ala! jan li weka mute.mi wile toki tawa jan ale. sina mute li ma seme? sina mute li pona alapona?