sigh

Archives from the old Yahoo! group
Arĥivoj de la malnova Yahoo!-grupo
Tom

re: sigh

Post by Tom »

Maybe like Toki Pona in simplicity is "wanladigala"http://wanladigala.pbworks.com/ ?I have no idea what it is exactly, but the simple idea of one word per syllableis appealing. Maybe a bit like aUI. Every syllable has a meaning and bycombining them you get more complex structures. Could these be called 'semanticprimes'?You could talk about the theory of 'semantic primitives' actually... finding outif those 'primitives' really exist, and, if so, whether they are a useful basefor constructing a language. Answering the question: "Is there a set of semanticprimes possible, one that can serve as the base of a conlang (maybe a list thatis not perfect, but for all practical purposes works fine)?(I know you wrote about Natural Semantic Metalanguage, but looks to me that'snot totally the same, correct me if I'm wrong) I like the idea of reducing language to a form that's as simple as possible,while it still can handle a broad range of meanings and concepts. Topki Pona isso very simple that I cannot get my point accross, it seems. Or can anybody helpme say in Toki Pona:freedomslaveheavyAnd I'm sure there's many more things that are very difficult to say in TokiPona...Maybe if the range in vocab was a bit larger, it would help things? Tom[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Joop Kiefte

Re: re: sigh

Post by Joop Kiefte »

freedom - ken (in the anarchist definition: jan lawa ala)slave - jan pi ken ala // jan pi lawa ala // jan pali (pi mani ala) (alldepending on your definition)heavy - suli // ike2009/8/28 Tom <to_mu1975@yahoo.com>>>> Maybe like Toki Pona in simplicity is "wanladigala"> http://wanladigala.pbworks.com/ ?> I have no idea what it is exactly, but the simple idea of one word per> syllable is appealing. Maybe a bit like aUI. Every syllable has a meaning> and by combining them you get more complex structures. Could these be called> 'semantic primes'?> You could talk about the theory of 'semantic primitives' actually...> finding out if those 'primitives' really exist, and, if so, whether they are> a useful base for constructing a language. Answering the question: "Is there> a set of semantic primes possible, one that can serve as the base of a> conlang (maybe a list that is not perfect, but for all practical purposes> works fine)?> (I know you wrote about Natural Semantic Metalanguage, but looks to me> that's not totally the same, correct me if I'm wrong)>> I like the idea of reducing language to a form that's as simple as> possible, while it still can handle a broad range of meanings and concepts.> Topki Pona is so very simple that I cannot get my point accross, it seems.> Or can anybody help me say in Toki Pona:> freedom> slave> heavy> And I'm sure there's many more things that are very difficult to say in> Toki Pona...> Maybe if the range in vocab was a bit larger, it would help things?>> Tom>>>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>--Communication is essential. So we need decent tools when communication islacking, when language capability is hard to acquire...- http://esperanto.net - http://esperanto-jongeren.nlOnly those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it'sin my basement... let me go upstairs and check.- M. C. Escher[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
John E Clifford

Re: re: sigh

Post by John E Clifford »

Thanks! There is a longer paper on semantic primes (aUI, NSM, toki pona, theSwadesh list, Esperanto, and Lojban) over at the LCC1 site at conlangs.org (Ithink). It needs a bit of revising and purifying, but covers the essentialspretty much.________________________________From: Tom <to_mu1975@yahoo.com>To: tokipona@yahoogroups.comSent: Friday, August 28, 2009 2:13:43 AMSubject: [tokipona] re: sighMaybe like Toki Pona in simplicity is "wanladigala" http://wanladigala.pbworks.com/ ?I have no idea what it is exactly, but the simple idea of one word per syllableis appealing. Maybe a bit like aUI. Every syllable has a meaning and bycombining them you get more complex structures. Could these be called 'semanticprimes'?You could talk about the theory of 'semantic primitives' actually... finding outif those 'primitives' really exist, and, if so, whether they are a useful basefor constructing a language. Answering the question: "Is there a set of semanticprimes possible, one that can serve as the base of a conlang (maybe a list thatis not perfect, but for all practical purposes works fine)?(I know you wrote about Natural Semantic Metalanguage, but looks to me that'snot totally the same, correct me if I'm wrong)I like the idea of reducing language to a form that's as simple as possible,while it still can handle a broad range of meanings and concepts. Topki Pona isso very simple that I cannot get my point accross, it seems. Or can anybody helpme say in Toki Pona:freedomslaveheavyAnd I'm sure there's many more things that are very difficult to say in TokiPona...Maybe if the range in vocab was a bit larger, it would help things?Tom[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]