"pi" suggestion

Archives from the old Yahoo! group
Arĥivoj de la malnova Yahoo!-grupo
Helmut Voigt

"pi" suggestion

Postby Helmut Voigt » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:24 am


jan ali pi toki pona o, toki!
 
Some time ago, the problem of using several "pi" constructions in one sentence
was discussed. Here are my suggestions for a possible solution:
If two pi expressions refer to one basic word, they should be separated by "en"
as in "jan pi kalama musi EN pi pona mute lukin" = a very attractive singer"
(both pi phrases refer to jan). If the second pi phrase refers to the first pi
phrase, no "en" is necessary, as in "lon open pi tenpo sike pi nanpa tu la, jan
lili li open tawa" (at the beginning of his second year, the baby begins to
walk). Here, the first pi phrase refers to "open" and the second to "tenpo
sike". Whoever dislikes these constructions is of course free to split such
sentences up into two although this would increase the wordiness.
mi wile sona e pilin pi sina mute.
jan Elumutu




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Liogab11

Re: "pi" suggestion

Postby Liogab11 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:33 am


Why would I want to say  "jan pi kalama musi EN pi pona mute lukin" when I can
just say "jan pi kalama musi li pona lukin mute"?

--- On Sun, 2/8/09, Helmut Voigt <akesi_palisa@yahoo.de> wrote:

From: Helmut Voigt <akesi_palisa@yahoo.de>
Subject: [tokipona] "pi" suggestion
To: tokipona@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 2 August, 2009, 6:24 PM






 





jan ali pi toki pona o, toki!

 

Some time ago, the problem of using several "pi" constructions in one sentence
was discussed. Here are my suggestions for a possible solution:

If two pi expressions refer to one basic word, they should be separated by "en"
as in "jan pi kalama musi EN pi pona mute lukin" = a very attractive singer"
(both pi phrases refer to jan). If the second pi phrase refers to the first pi
phrase, no "en" is necessary, as in "lon open pi tenpo sike pi nanpa tu la, jan
lili li open tawa" (at the beginning of his second year, the baby begins to
walk). Here, the first pi phrase refers to "open" and the second to "tenpo
sike". Whoever dislikes these constructions is of course free to split such
sentences up into two although this would increase the wordiness.

mi wile sona e pilin pi sina mute.

jan Elumutu



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





























Get your new Email address!
Grab the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted before someone else does!
http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/aa/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Helmut Voigt

Re: "pi" suggestion

Postby Helmut Voigt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:40 am


If the whole expression were the subject or an object in the sentence, e.g. mi
sona pona e jan ni pi kalama musi EN pi pona mute lukin.

--- Liogab11 <liogab11@yahoo.com> schrieb am Mo, 3.8.2009:

> Von: Liogab11 <liogab11@yahoo.com>
> Betreff: Re: [tokipona] "pi" suggestion
> An: tokipona@yahoogroups.com
> Datum: Montag, 3. August 2009, 12:33
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
>
>
> Why would I want to say "jan pi
> kalama musi EN pi pona mute lukin" when I can just say
> "jan pi kalama musi li pona lukin mute"?
>
>
>
> --- On Sun, 2/8/09, Helmut Voigt <akesi_palisa@
> yahoo.de> wrote:
>
>
>
> From: Helmut Voigt <akesi_palisa@
> yahoo.de>
>
> Subject: [tokipona] "pi" suggestion
>
> To: tokipona@yahoogroup
> s.com
>
> Date: Sunday, 2 August, 2009, 6:24 PM
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> jan ali pi toki pona o, toki!
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> Some time ago, the problem of using several "pi"
> constructions in one sentence was discussed. Here are my
> suggestions for a possible solution:
>
>
>
> If two pi expressions refer to one basic word, they should
> be separated by "en" as in "jan pi kalama
> musi EN pi pona mute lukin" = a very attractive
> singer" (both pi phrases refer to jan). If the second
> pi phrase refers to the first pi phrase, no "en"
> is necessary, as in "lon open pi tenpo sike pi nanpa tu
> la, jan lili li open tawa" (at the beginning of his
> second year, the baby begins to walk). Here, the first pi
> phrase refers to "open" and the second to
> "tenpo sike". Whoever dislikes these constructions
> is of course free to split such sentences up into two
> although this would increase the wordiness.
>
>
>
> mi wile sona e pilin pi sina mute.
>
>
>
> jan Elumutu
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Get your new Email address!
>
> Grab the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted before
> someone else does!
>
> http://mail.
> promotions. yahoo.com/ newdomains/ aa/
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


galactonerd

Re: "pi" suggestion

Postby galactonerd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:58 pm


Or what about this:

jan pi kalama musi li pona mute lukin. mi sona pona e ona.

jan Sosuwa

--- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, Helmut Voigt <akesi_palisa@...> wrote:

> If the whole expression were the subject or an object in the sentence, e.g. mi
sona pona e jan ni pi kalama musi EN pi pona mute lukin.



Return to “toki pini pi kulupu Jaku”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests