Cxefredaktisto?

Archives from the old Yahoo! group
Arĥivoj de la malnova Yahoo!-grupo
Liogab11

Cxefredaktisto?

Post by Liogab11 »

What's a good translation for "editor'' in toki pona? The closest I can come upwith is ''jan suli pi pona toki'' or editor-in-chief. sina sona (li ken pana) eni lon toki Epelanto la ni li pona Get your preferred Email name!Now you can @ymail.com and @rocketmail.com.http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/aa/[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Kevyn Scott Kateri Calanza Bello

Re: Cxefredaktisto?

Post by Kevyn Scott Kateri Calanza Bello »

--- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, Liogab11 <liogab11@...> wrote:>> What's a good translation for "editor'' in toki pona? The closest I can comeup with is ''jan suli pi pona toki'' or editor-in-chief. sina sona (li ken pana)e ni lon toki Epelanto la ni li ponami pilin mute e ni: sina ken toki e nimi "c'efredaktisto" sama jan pali pi liputoki tenpo pona (laboranto de sezona artikolo korekta/bona, worker of goodtimely language paper) tan ni: nimi 'pona' li pana e pilin pi nimi mute sama"bona" anu "korekta" anu "fiksa" en nimi ante mute.Por vicc'efredaktisto, sina ken toki e ni: jan pali anpa pi lipu toki pona.mi pilin e ni: nimi sina li jo e nimi ante mute lon toki pona.o toki kepeken toki pona a!jan Lasika.
agneau belanyek

Re: Cxefredaktisto?

Post by agneau belanyek »

> --- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, Liogab11 <liogab11@> wrote:> >> > What's a good translation for "editor'' in toki pona?I try to avoid discussions of "how do you say "X" in toki pona?" completely outof context. I know how comforting it is to have a complete lexicon with fixedphrases for every possible concept we can think of - and I agree that havingsome standard and immediately recognisable phrases for commonly usedconcepts(even out of context) is probably useful - but creating such adictionary is not in the way of toki pona as I see it.For the particular phrase in quesion here, I think it is possible, even likely,that we would be about an editor in chief after having put the paper/magazines/he is working for in context. If this is case, simply "jan pali" (or "janlawa" for editor in chief) is sufficient to convey the intended meaning. If thecontext isn't there... it might be helpful to establish it.e.g. "my father is editor in chief of the Sunday Times" = "mama mi li jan lawalon lipu "Sunday Times"." (I assume the gender of the father was not relevant inthat conversation)Yes, I know. "Jan lawa" could be the managing director, the owner etc... again Isay "context". If there ws any danger that I would be misunderstood, I might gofor "jan sitelen lawa" (the head writing man). but, as always, the simpler thebetter.jan Sowelilili