poka

Archives from the old Yahoo! group
Arĥivoj de la malnova Yahoo!-grupo
Liogab11

poka

Post by Liogab11 »

Then why not avoid talking about it altogether? Your point does seem reasonable.As I learned to express myself in TP, I never had to use left or right in asentence. We only talked about it because of a rookie Tokiponist (no offencemeant) :) jan Pusa--- On Thu, 27/11/08, John E Clifford <kali9putra@yahoo.com> wrote:From: John E Clifford <kali9putra@yahoo.com>Subject: Re: [tokipona] Re: <- -> ? left, right?To: tokipona@yahoogroups.comDate: Thursday, 27 November, 2008, 12:01 AMConnections with map and writing conventions are a bit worrisome, since theyvary a good deal from culture to culture (and some cultures have none, ofcourse). But no system for directional notions seems totally safe from thesecomments. And there are those in kulupu pi toki pona who would argue that the tpworld would not use them anyhow (cf 'big' numbers).____________ _________ _________ __From: liogab11 <liogab11@yahoo. com>To: tokipona@yahoogroup s.comSent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:07:30 AMSubject: [tokipona] Re: <- -> ? left, right?I prefer to say "poka pi suno kama" for right; "poka pi suno weka"for left, since we are talking about left and right.After all, if we look at a world map, east will point to our right;west, to our right.As for north and south, I belive "lete" and "seli" (aside from coldand hot) are used for north and south regardless of the locations ofthe speaker and the person spoken to.jan Pusa--- In tokipona@yahoogroup s.com, jan Jo <yohsweb@... > wrote:>> jan ""galactonerd" <galactonerd@ ...>" li sitelen e ni:>> > west could be> >"nasin suno" (because that's the direction the sun goes), and east> >could be "nasin monsi suno" ("the direction behind the sun").>> mi pilin e ni: tan li ni la, nimi "nasin suno tawa" li pona tawanimi "west".> (the direction the sun GOES)> "nasin suno kama" li pona tawa nimi "east".> (the direction the sun comes)>> mi toki e pilin mi la, nimi "nasin ..." li pona lili tawa mi.nimi "poka ..." li pona mute tawa mi.> (poka seli, poka lete, poka suno kama, poka suno tawa)>>> jan Jo>> (toki pona) http://geocities. com/yohsweb/> (toki Nijon) http://www.yohs. net>.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] New Email names for you!Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and @rocketmail.Hurry before someone else does!http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/aa/[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Josan Kapo

Re: poka

Post by Josan Kapo »

It does seem to come up often enough though... for something to stick it thinkit wouldhave to be simple and (relatively) universal, and not reliant on memorizing aconventionlike one/two open/closed.'poka pilin' for left seems to return enough to prove useful.I think something like 'poka pali' could work as a compliment, since most people(myselfexcluded) seem to be right-handed.personally I'm not a fan of adding 'ala' as a solution for creating acompliment.Cardinal directions seem much harder to translate into satisfying toki pona. There is atendency in many languages to ascribe colors to directions. This could create asimplesolution, but again requires memorizing an arbitrary system.As I understand it, using "North East South West: instead of "Left, Right" meansdirectionsare given regardless of the speakers position, and not that Left is referred toas West, andRight as East. This works for instance in giving directions to one's house, butnot meanthe "top right corner of a piece of paper" is "North-East" Does anyone else havea feelingon that?just my 2 cents- jan Josan--- In tokipona@yahoogroups.com, Liogab11 <liogab11@...> wrote:>> Then why not avoid talking about it altogether? Your point does seemreasonable. As Ilearned to express myself in TP, I never had to use left or right in a sentence.We onlytalked about it because of a rookie Tokiponist (no offence meant)>  > :) jan Pusa>>> --- On Thu, 27/11/08, John E Clifford <kali9putra@...> wrote:>> From: John E Clifford <kali9putra@...>> Subject: Re: [tokipona] Re: <- -> ? left, right?> To: tokipona@yahoogroups.com> Date: Thursday, 27 November, 2008, 12:01 AM>>>>>>> Connections with map and writing conventions are a bit worrisome, since theyvary agood deal from culture to culture (and some cultures have none, of course). Butno systemfor directional notions seems totally safe from these comments. And there arethose inkulupu pi toki pona who would argue that the tp world would not use them anyhow(cf'big' numbers).>> ____________ _________ _________ __> From: liogab11 <liogab11@yahoo. com>> To: tokipona@yahoogroup s.com> Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:07:30 AM> Subject: [tokipona] Re: <- -> ? left, right?>> I prefer to say "poka pi suno kama" for right; "poka pi suno weka"> for left, since we are talking about left and right.> After all, if we look at a world map, east will point to our right;> west, to our right.>> As for north and south, I belive "lete" and "seli" (aside from cold> and hot) are used for north and south regardless of the locations of> the speaker and the person spoken to.>> jan Pusa>> --- In tokipona@yahoogroup s.com, jan Jo <yohsweb@ > wrote:> >> > jan ""galactonerd" <galactonerd@ ...>" li sitelen e ni:> >> > > west could be> > >"nasin suno" (because that's the direction the sun goes), and east> > >could be "nasin monsi suno" ("the direction behind the sun").> >> > mi pilin e ni: tan li ni la, nimi "nasin suno tawa" li pona tawa> nimi "west".> > (the direction the sun GOES)> > "nasin suno kama" li pona tawa nimi "east".> > (the direction the sun comes)> >> > mi toki e pilin mi la, nimi "nasin ..." li pona lili tawa mi.> nimi "poka ..." li pona mute tawa mi.> > (poka seli, poka lete, poka suno kama, poka suno tawa)> >> >> > jan Jo> >> > (toki pona) http://geocities. com/yohsweb/> > (toki Nijon) http://www.yohs. net> >>> .>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> New Email names for you!> Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and @rocketmail.> Hurry before someone else does!> http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/aa/>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>
piskku_1

Re: poka

Post by piskku_1 »

poka pilin <- "side of senses, or side of the heart"poka pali -> "side of making"nimi ni li pona tawa mi ;)tenpo ni la mi ken toki mute kepeken toki pona!lukin e ni: mi wile tawa kepeken nasin pi poka pilinmi tawa!
Liogab11

Re: Re: poka

Post by Liogab11 »

ni li pona. taso mi toki ala poka. ni li ike tawa lawa mi. P.S.: sina wile e ni: jan li pali e toki sina la o kepeken e nimi "o"       (If you want to tell someone to do something, use "o", like what Idid above) jan Pusa--- On Sat, 29/11/08, piskku_1 <piskku_@hotmail.com> wrote:From: piskku_1 <piskku_@hotmail.com>Subject: [tokipona] Re: pokaTo: tokipona@yahoogroups.comDate: Saturday, 29 November, 2008, 4:37 AMpoka pilin <- "side of senses, or side of the heart"poka pali -> "side of making"nimi ni li pona tawa mi ;)tenpo ni la mi ken toki mute kepeken toki pona!lukin e ni: mi wile tawa kepeken nasin pi poka pilinmi tawa! Get your new Email address!Grab the Email name you've always wanted before someone else does!http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/aa/[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]