Sign language?

Toki Pona news: new website, upcoming book, announcements from the language's creator
Tokiponaj novaĵoj: nova TTT-ejo, venonta libro, aperonta libro, anoncoj de la kreinto de la lingvo
janAetherStar

Sign language?

Post by janAetherStar »

Ok, I'm really sorry if I seem like I'm bugging people, but does anyone know anything about the official sign language? I'd really like to learn it. Incredibly sorry for the impatience, I just couldn't hold off from asking any longer.
ale li pona. :)
sina o sona e ni.
janMato

Re: Sign language?

Post by janMato »

Nope-- but there is a fully developed fan created one (chuff did that one, I approve of it-- it's a good system-- I didn't memorize it because I'm working on doing a bit of ASL with the baby at the moment). And a billion years ago there was an incomplete one based on using ordinary ASL for words.

I think all toki pona based sign systems at the moment are akin to finger spell or so-called "signed exact english" which makes no modifications to the grammar to take into account the different speed of speaking vs signing (you can do fewer symbols per second singing than talking), and singing you can "stack" symbols, i.e. do 3+ markers all at the same time (by varying speed of sign, the left, right hands and facial expression and so on)
jan Seloki

Re: Sign language?

Post by jan Seloki »

The official(?) toki luka is at http://tokipona.net/tp/janpije/signlanguage.php. It's missing signs for the "deprecated" words that many people still use, but includes signs for letters so you can spell out names.
人り有え人上ら人り要物無。
ین لی یۆ إ ین سوی لا ین لی ئولی أۆ إ ئیو ألا
.ין לי יו א ין סוי לה ין לי וילה ייו אלה
ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܝܘܿ ܥܹ ܝܲܢ ܣܹܘܝܼ ܠܲܐ ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܘܝܼܠܹܥ ܝܼܝܘܿ ܐܲܠܲܐ.
ญนํลีโญเอะญนํเศะวีลญนํลีวีเละอีโญอล.