Toki Pona's community

Toki Pona news: new website, upcoming book, announcements from the language's creator
Tokiponaj novaĵoj: nova TTT-ejo, venonta libro, aperonta libro, anoncoj de la kreinto de la lingvo
janKipo

Re: Toki Pona's community

Post by janKipo »

Well, the expression on the face of Teresa of Avila in the famous depiction (can't remember where or by whom) has had a number of interpretations, but her words suggest something more akin to sexual ecstasy. I gather that, once the connection has been made and stabilized, life becomes rather placid -- regardless of what happens.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

"Ecstasy of Saint Theresa" By Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini from around 1650 in the Cornaro Chapel, Rome. This is the (yes, very sexual seeming) description from her diary from which the piece is based:
I saw in his hand a long spear of gold, and at the iron's point there seemed to be a little fire. He appeared to me to be thrusting it at times into my heart, and to pierce my very entrails; when he drew it out, he seemed to draw them out also, and to leave me all on fire with a great love of God. The pain was so great, that it made me moan; and yet so surpassing was the sweetness of this excessive pain, that I could not wish to be rid of it. The soul is satisfied now with nothing less than God. The pain is not bodily, but spiritual; though the body has its share in it. It is a caressing of love so sweet which now takes place between the soul and God, that I pray God of His goodness to make him experience it who may think that I am lying.
mi lukin e ni: ona li jo e palisa utala pi kiwen suno lon luka. palisa pini li seli lili. ona li pana e palisa tawa insa mi. ona li weka e palisa tan insa mi la, mi pilin e olin seli tawa jan suli. pilin ike li suli. mi pana e a. taso pilin suwi li lon kin. mi wile weka ala e pilin ni. tenpo ni la kon mi li pilin ale pi jan suli. pilin ike li lon sijelo ala. ona li lon kon. taso sijelo li jo e lili kin. pilin olin li lon insa poka pi kon en jan sewi. jan sewi o, jan ante li pilin e ni: pilin ni li lon ala. o pana e pilin tawa ona.

Ug, I don't think "lon insa poka" is going to cut it for between; how to do "between the soul and God"?
I'm afraid in toki pona the whole thing sounds even more dirty.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Yeah, tp does cut to the chase.
The "between the soul and God" is not about the gap (the soul over here, God over there) but about their connection. God loves the soul and the soul equally and in the same way loves God. This love is sweet and caressing - or caressingly sweet or sweetly caressing.
Thanx for the citation (I suspect my mind was off chasing the Pieta)