Who is watching the Valentine's Day the movie?

Toki Pona news: new website, upcoming book, announcements from the language's creator
Tokiponaj novaĵoj: nova TTT-ejo, venonta libro, aperonta libro, anoncoj de la kreinto de la lingvo
inquigina

Who is watching the Valentine's Day the movie?

Post by inquigina »

Who is going to watch the new Valentine's Day movie coming out February 12th 2010?
jan Ote

Re: Who is watching the Valentine's Day the movie?

Post by jan Ote »

inquigina wrote:Who is going to watch the new Valentine's Day movie coming out February 12th 2010?
mi kute ala e nimi pi sitelen tawa ni. jan li kepeken toki pona lon sitelen ni anu seme? ni li kulupu toki pi sin pi toki pona.
janMato

Post by janMato »

mi pilin e pilin sama pi jan Ote.

sina wile toki e ni. "jan seme li wile tawa sitelen tawa pi tempo suno pi olin alasa pi mun tu pi LLT pi MM en LL?"

mi toki e ni. "mi wile tawa conlang the movie."

o sona e ni. mute la mama pi toki sin li jo ala e olin. ona li tawa e sitelen tawa pi olin alasa kepeken jan seme?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

<<mi kute ala e nimi pi sitelen tawa ni. jan li kepeken E toki pona lon sitelen ni anu seme? ni li kulupu toki pi sin pi toki pona.>>

mi pilin e sama. taso kin sitelen tawa ni li len jaki (schmata). ona lu jo e mun suno mute taso toki ni li namako ala mute mute.
janTe

Post by janTe »

inquigina wrote:Who is going to watch the new Valentine's Day movie coming out February 12th 2010?
mi ala.

mi pilin e ni. sina ijo moku loje walo pi soweli en namako.

(I'm trying to say "You are spam". I said "sina ijo moku" because "sina moku" sounds like "you eat".)
janMato

Post by janMato »

janTe wrote: mi pilin e ni. sina ijo moku loje walo pi soweli en namako.

(I'm trying to say "You are spam". I said "sina ijo moku" because "sina moku" sounds like "you eat".)
pona a! I like that technique. I know that often the ambiguity is easy to resolve, but it's handy to have less ambiguous options in the toolbox.
janTe

Post by janTe »

Unfortunately, "sina ijo moku" can still mean "you objectify food", so it's not unambiguous.

A copula verb would be nice. (Hey, maybe that's what "pu" is.)

Alternatively, it would be nice if "ijo" was always a noun, and never a verb.
janMato

Post by janMato »

janTe wrote:Unfortunately, "sina ijo moku" can still mean "you objectify food", so it's not unambiguous.
I don't mind if a sentence resolves to 1 intelligible sentence and 150 outlandish ones. That sort of ambiguity is quite alright.

janTe wrote:A copula verb would be nice. (Hey, maybe that's what "pu" is.)
It would sound like lipu. Dunno--given how many languages get by with null copulas, I figurer that feature isn't that essential or expressive.

* ni li pu moku.
* ni pu moku.
This is food.
janTe wrote:Alternatively, it would be nice if "ijo" was always a noun, and never a verb.
Well, all of the following are by the classic list only nouns and not modifiers.

waso, tenpo, supa, suno, soweli, sinpin, sijelo, pipi, pan, palisa, oko, noka, nimi, nena, nasin, mani, ma, lupa, luka, lipu, len, ko, kili, kasi, kala, ilo, esun, akesi

I'd be surprised if there isn't dozens of usages of each of these as modifiers and sometimes verbs.
janTe

Post by janTe »

janTe wrote:Unfortunately, "sina ijo moku" can still mean "you objectify food", so it's not unambiguous.
Oh wait. That would be "sina ijo e moku". With a transitive verb.

Nevermind. Just ignore me.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

<<sina ijo moku" can still mean "you objectify food", so it's not unambiguous.>> Needs 'e' for that reading, not that I want to encourage more detailed (or less) definitions of "spam." I like 'mu'.
Copula are redundant.
If you change 'ijo' from a Noun, to something else which is never a verb, you probably have to change other words as well; including some whose verbing is very useful (not that 'ijo's isn't sometimes). BTW "you objectify food" is probably the more intelligible and reasonable reading of the (corrected) sentence. I see Mato has come up with others that would have to move, doing away with 'wawa suno.' 'ike sijelo' 'suwi pan' 'jan sona oko' 'ma nena' 'jan soweli' soweli mani' and on and on.