toki Bo li moli

Altruism, alternative cultures, technology, simple living, sustainability, primitivism, etc.
Altruismo, alternativaj kulturoj, teĥnologio, simpla vivado, daŭrigebleco, primitivismo
jan Josan

toki Bo li moli

Post by jan Josan »

lipu sitelen ni li toki e ni: jan wan taso li toki e toki Bo. ona li kama moli. jan pi sona toki li pilin ike tan ni.
janMato

Re: toki Bo li moli

Post by janMato »

Well the're isn't a forum, mailing list, online dictionary or flash card app. It doesn't have a governing body for the orderly resumption of speaking, there isn't a corpus of re-publishable text. And for crying out loud, who's going to want to speak a language with out a Tengwar font? That alone probably did in the language.

If only they'd joined the LCS, this fatal string of mistakes could have been avoided.

Even gjâ-zym-byn is in better shape for a comeback should it's last speaker die--but fortunate for gjâ-zym-byn, Henry is jan pi moli ken ala. Good conlanger's don't die, a lesson that speakers of dying languages should take note of.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

a a a a a a a a a a a a a! (but painfully true).
saebjorn

Post by saebjorn »

ni li ike mute. jan Mato o, sina toki e nimi mute ike ni tan seme?! toki pona li moli la sina pilin ala e pona anu seme? sina toki pona. taso mi pilin e ni: sina no pilin ike tan toki Bo li ala.

I didn't really mean much of that, looking back on it:) your tone was just...unexpected to see on a language board.
janMato

Post by janMato »

jan Sæbjörn* o kama pona tawa lipu mute ni!

nimi mi ni li toki musi!

On a serious note, all conlangs are moribund, dead or dying, probably including Esperanto, by the metrics used for natural languages (particularly, how many kids are learning the language and using it at home as a percent of the total community). That conlangs are coming to life at all is nothing short of amazing and language revivalist would do well to look at how conlang communities are succeeding-- namely the languages become massively simplified, rely on technology and long distance communication to build up critical mass, have prestige factors [reasons to learn the language] that attract fans beyond "existance value" etc.

* soweli suli pi ma lete pi telo suli ... which so far is both northern whale and sea bear. Oh well. sina jan pi ma Islan? nimi sina li nimi pi toki Islan.
saebjorn

Post by saebjorn »

janMato wrote:jan Sæbjörn*

* soweli suli pi ma lete pi telo suli ... which so far is both northern whale and sea bear. Oh well. sina jan pi ma Islan? nimi sina li nimi pi toki Islan.

mi jan pi ma Florida :)
nimi ni li pona tawa mi. mi kama jo e sona pi ona lon http://www.thequarter.org/Media/VikingName.php

mi lukin e ona tan ni: tomo sona mi li toki "o lukin e ni" tawa mi.

Any grammar issues there?
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

Are you known as nekk on IRC? If not, there's someone else in Florida who knows toki pona. I know, it's a big state, but that's one more than most of us have...

minor grammar issues, since you asked:
saebjorn wrote:ni li ike mute. jan Mato o, sina toki e nimi mute ike ni tan seme?! toki pona li moli la sina pilin ala e pona anu seme?
Maybe not technically incorrect, but sina pili ala e pona anu seme probably means You are not feeling the good or what?
I would try sina pilin pona ala pona? or sina pilin pona anu seme? or even sina pilin ike ala tan seme?
saebjorn wrote:taso mi pilin e ni: sina no pilin ike tan toki Bo li ala.
I know you didn't mean the "no" that slipped in. More importantly, you made a conjunction (you feel / it is) which ain't tp. You can fix it with the awkward two colon sentence::
taso mi pilin e ni: sina pilin ika ala tan ni: toki Bo li ala.
saebjorn wrote:nimi ni li pona tawa mi. mi kama jo e sona pi ona lon http://www.thequarter.org/Media/VikingName.php
often you will see "kama sona" but I suppose "kama jo e sona" is just as valid. But after ona, lon starts a preposition, so you can't have the pi without a noun and a modifier. Take out the pi and you have mi kama jo e sona ona lon... which isn't what you meant (I came to have it's knowledge). you could do mi kama jo e sona ni lon... or mi kama sona e ni lon.... In tp you have to do "this knowledge" rather that "knowledge of it". You could also use tan instead of lon.
saebjorn wrote:mi lukin e ona tan ni: tomo sona mi li toki "o lukin e ni" tawa mi.
This is interesting. The way quotes are used is still up for debate. Again we have a conjunction here, and I'm not sure quotes are going to get you out of it, but they are punctuation just like a colon. There has been talk about the difference between [said this: toki e ni:] and [said these words: toki e nimi ni:]. The safest, quickest fix would be mi lukin e ni: tomo sona mi li toki e nimi ni tawa mi: "o lukin e ni". There's probably a smoother way to say this, but it would depend on what you really want to say. Your school told you to look at the website, or look into your heritage, or...?

Good work on some tough sentences. And as you guessed, jan Mato is a bit of a trickster, but his heart is in the right place.
jan Ote

Post by jan Ote »

jan Josan wrote:often you will see "kama sona" but I suppose "kama jo e sona" is just as valid.
"kama jo e sona" means "to come to have a knowledge". The problem is: how can one possess a knowledge? It's not a thing. If we do not use: "mi jo e sona", then we shouldn't use "mi kama jo e sona".
saebjorn

Post by saebjorn »

Wow. That was...extensive.
First, no, I'm almost always Saebjorn on IRC. I know who Nekk is--I've seen him around. I haven't been on IRC for a while; I have finals now and there are a lot of other things going on. I really wanna be able to get on more often.
Where does Nekk live?
So, the grammar:
1st problem: Yes, I totally agree.
...la sina pilin pona ala pona?
would work much better.
2nd problem: Ouch! I totally missed the "no" and you're right about all the rest. I should definitely do more editing before I submit these things.
3rd problem:
In tp you have to do "this knowledge" rather that "knowledge of it".
I didn't know that at all. Thanks:D

Thank you sooo much!Please go ahead and review any other stuff i write, if you want.
Saebjorn (jan Sesile)