lukin e nanpa mute

Discuss any other topic in here.
Diskutu ĉiujn aliajn temojn ĉi tie.
Baerdric

Re: lukin e nanpa mute

Post by Baerdric »

I was casually ruminating about day and month names today, partly because Japanese is so boring in that regard (although I have a list of antique Japanese month names somewhere, usually they just number the months). And I recall reading somewhere that Tolkien did a large part of his extra writing to establish stories (lore) to support his place names and languages.

I think if we name days and months at all, they might ought to receive proper names that reflect some aspect of tp culture. As opposed to word concatenations. Like (and I don't suggest this, just as an example) whatever day of the week jan Sonja first published a post on the language could be Founder's day (suno Ponta?)

Obviously years of work to do on that idea, some days might be named after events that haven't happened yet.
I answer to jan Linja Sinpin Loje but you can call me jan Loje
janTepanNetaPelin

Post by janTepanNetaPelin »

Baerdric wrote:I was casually ruminating about day and month names today, partly because Japanese is so boring in that regard (although I have a list of antique Japanese month names somewhere, usually they just number the months).
It occured to me (this week) that the days of the week are being expressed in Chinese/Japanese like in Western languages. In Chinese/Japanese and Romance languages you express

- day of the Moon — Monday
- day of Mars → day of the fire-planet — Tuesday
- day of Mercury → day of the water-planet — Wednesday
- day of Jupiter → day of the wood-planet — Thursday
- day of Venus → day of the metal-planet — Friday
- day of Saturn → day of the soil-planet — Saturday
- day of the Sun → Sunday

It might be helpful to remember that these are/were gods, too, which is why Romance days translate to Germanic days with references to gods like Thor (Thor's day).

Because of their international nature, I think that this approach is worth trying. A more boring attempt would be to number the days of the week. Since weeks are there in order to give a rhythm to when we work and when we rest, I would divide the week in 5 weekdays and 2 weekend days. So, 5 days when we do business transactions and 2 days when we don't. (Of course there are people working on the weekends and vice-versa people who don't work during the weekdays. But if someone is working on Saturday it doesn't mean that Saturday has stopped being weekend day.)
https://github.com/stefichjo/toki-pona (mi sitelen e lipu ni pi toki pona)
mi jan Tepan. mi pu. mi weka e jan nasa Kipo e jan nasa Lope.
janpona120

Post by janpona120 »

rhyme (Sunday-...-Saturday) for best memorization:

suno lape
suno pali
suno seli
suno kon
suno suli
suno suwi
suno kiwen
sona lon
-------------------------------------------------------------
In astrology, Venus leads sweet, pleasant things, Saturn - stones, rocks, etc.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I don't know how things work in oriental climes, where weeks are a recent innovation (I think), but in the Eurasian landmass West of Persia (roughly speaking) we have been stuck with the Sumerian (or thereabouts) system pretty universally (Judaism excepted since they don't like mentioning Marduk and Astarte and the like). So, Sun, Moon, Mars (in some guise, but mainly the planet), Mercury (planet, speedy god, messenger, etc.), Jupiter (planet, top god, thunderer, etc.), Venus (planet, love beauty, etc.), Saturn (geezer god, slow planet). The god-to-god mappings are too confusing to mess with here, especially if you take the Eastern versions into account. The planet mappings are muddled at best. And if you throw in some astrology or other, things get out of hand. I know that numbers are boring, but at least they make immediately clear sense, unlike any other system (probably even to the Sumerians). The same goes (maybe double) for the months (although the whole concept of a month is a total muddle from the get-go). In fact, Earth time is a hopeless jumble into which we can insert very little in the way of order, but that is not areason for repeating -- or increasing -- traditional confusion.