Have you heard of Ithkuil?

Discuss any other topic in here.
Diskutu ĉiujn aliajn temojn ĉi tie.
jan Akesimun

Have you heard of Ithkuil?

Post by jan Akesimun »

I just found out the creator of it is about to finish the final version of it. Learning it seems like a suitably impossible challenge.
Yo estuve aquí.
janKipo

Re: Have you heard of Ithkuil?

Post by janKipo »

He has claimed near completion before, so don't hold your breath. Though I have met him a few times, I have never been tempted to try my hand at his language, with its legendary problems; I'll stick to tp and maybe, on a really good day, Lojban.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Yeah, on the conlang mailing list it comes up along with a few other conlangs as potentially not-human usable systems. Maybe it would require a few generations of native speakers, since kids seem so much better at learning crazy difficult languages.

I tend to be kind of lazy when it comes to foreign languages. I won't look up every single word when I read, and I won't invest an hour doing the same writing a sentence. So I read Icelandic (can't/won't) write it and I write toki pona. The level of effort seems appropriate for hobbies. The level of effort for Ithkuil is beyond a hobby, except maybe a singular feat to translate a single sentence or paragraph. With that sort of personal economics reasoning going on, I can't imagine Ikthiul attracting a community that does more than talk about the language.

ike a! tenpo ale la mi sitelen kepeken toki Inli. (Oh, the irony that I write so much in English about toki pona on this forum)
janHanoki

Post by janHanoki »

While I think Ithkuil sounds horribly ugly, it is conceptually awe-inspiring. If I am not mistaken, there is an active Russian-speaking group on Livejournal which is learning Ithkuil. If anyone here uses Reddit, visit /r/Ithkuil.
Delphij

Post by Delphij »

I really love just to read the description of the language at the webpage.
I don't think you need to really learn Ithkuil to benefit of its existence, it feels like it can really give a deeper understanding of how human language works by just reading about its "philosophy" :P
Somewhat like lojban.
Last edited by Delphij on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delphij

Post by Delphij »

I really love just to read the description of the language at the webpage.
I don't think you need to really learn Ithkuil to benefit of its existence, it feels like it can really give a deeper understanding of how human language works by just reading about its "philosophy" :P
Somewhat like lojban.
Last edited by Delphij on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Well, it is a compendium of linguistic oddities gleaned from the linguistics textbooks and lumped together in a beguiling (? tempting? awesome? enthralling? attractive and terrifying anyhow) package.