relegation (was deductability!)

Discuss any other topic in here.
Diskutu ĉiujn aliajn temojn ĉi tie.
janMato

relegation (was deductability!)

Post by janMato »

http://rejistania.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/xamie/

How best to translate Unabsteigbarkeit? UPDATE: This means demotion of a hyper technical specific sort that is used in British (and I guess also German) sports, where some teams get kicked out of the prestigious division into the lesser so.

I originally thought this was german for Deductability, because google thought so. (Then I thought it mean regulation, but that is a fruitless detour)
Deductability in toki pona:

jan mute li pana e mani tawa jan lawa tan ni: jan li wile e pali pi jan lawa li wile e pali pi jan utala e ijo mute ante. jan li pana e mani tawa jan lawa la mani ni li suli ni: suli li tan suli pi mani sina. kipisi pi mani ni li tawa ala jan lawa.

German: Unabsteigbarkeit
Rejistanian: ehasalan’ta’ta

Any other ways to express the idea?
Last edited by janMato on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
janKipo

Re: relegation (was deductability!)

Post by janKipo »

Haed to say from the tp. Whar is 'wile pali pi jan utala e ijo mute ante' going to mean" The core is "want to make a bunch of different things" but what does 'pi jan utala' do? Make them militarily? Or maybe "do a bunch of different things" (not fond of 'ijo' for that) as a troop? "if people give to the government, this one is this great: the size is from the size of your money"? Maybe "is the quantity that is from the quantity of your money" Is this different from 'mani ni li tan mani sina' or even just 'li mani sina"? How?
"A portion of this money is nothing to the government" ?
Ahah (always read the notes) kapisi pi mani ni li tawa ala jan lawa (sorta changes the meaning a bit) As for the other, "depends on" is a nice one to work on and 'tan' looks like a good candidate, but the the construction is complex here 'suli pi mani pi jan lawa (maybe 'kulupu' is better, we are clearly getting away from individuals to faceless masses) li tan suli pi mani sina"
janMato

Post by janMato »

I dropped an e, which really threw off the sentence.

The point of deductiblity turns on ratios. The tp is going to be a pale shadow of the algebraic notation. Demotion, too, depends on motion over time along a rank scale. More talk that has math lurking behind it.

re: jan lawa/utala. jan can mean people, so jan lawa isn't necessarily head man, it could be head people. jan utala is pretty common for soldier, seems natural as a way to express military protection. I'm using them just as conventions though (I've seen both a lot), it isn't a political statement, else I might have used a more editorializing phrase and been even harder to understand!
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Thanks; that helps a lot.