Toki Pona spellcheck for Firefox

Discuss any other topic in here.
Diskutu ĉiujn aliajn temojn ĉi tie.
jan Ote

Toki Pona spellcheck for Firefox

Post by jan Ote »

There are Firefox spellcheck dictionaries for many languages, including Latin and Esperanto, on Mozilla Foundation website, but not for toki pona. So I created one.

This is a tp dictionary for Firefox.
Installation:
a) download attached .zip file, save it and rename to tp-dictionary.xpi (this form doesn't allow to attach files with .xpi extension)
b) open the file with Firefox (double click, select "Choose a program from the list" or similar and choose Firefox from the list of programs)
c) accept instalation
Usage:
1) run Firefox, go to any page with edit field, like editing a post on this forum. Type in some text in toki pona.
2) to spellcheck: right-click in the edit field, then select "languages" and then "latin" (sorry, Firefox is not aware of toki pona). Voila! Now Firefox underlines all words not in tp official word list. If you wan't to spellcheck English text again, just right click again and select "languages", "English" (or your language).

Sample:
taso... ni li sona ala sona?
nimi pine li nimi tan toki Inli.
a a a! ni li pona. mi wile e ijo ni!
Screenshot: the tp dictionary for Firefox installed and enabled.

rename to tp-dictionary.xpi, then open with Firefox
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
Last edited by jan Ote on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jan Ote

Re: Toki Pona spellcheck for Firefox

Post by jan Ote »

Does it work for you? Any comments, suggestions?
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

jan Ote wrote:Does it work for you? Any comments, suggestions?
suggestion. i suggest to use the language with non-latin-based script. it would preclude any chance for the error
janMato

Post by janMato »

I still working on getting it work work in Firefox. I think one of the hardest things about toki pona spelling is remembering how to spell Haiti, Mozambique or Ontario in toki pona.

Except for minimal pairs (poki/poka, seli/suli), people know what I mean when I mispell words, like sitilin, nanpa, etc. Mispelling the proper modifers makes one look uneducated, a surprising result from a conculture that implies a world not necessarily literate and with schools.
jan Ote

Post by jan Ote »

jan-ante wrote:i suggest to use the language with non-latin-based script. it would preclude any chance for the error
A language with non-latin based script? For example, let's use Russian. Oh, wait... :D

How to change label for invoking tp spell checker from "Latin" (la) to "Farsi" (fa)
  • Uninstall tp spell checker: use menu "Tools|Add-ons|Extensions", browse to "Toki Pona Dictionary", click "Uninstall"
  • Change installation file by renaming two files inside it
    1. Create a folder
    2. Use your Favorite Zip/Unzip Tool to unzip tp-dictionary.zip file into this folder
    3. Go into subfolder 'dictionaries' and rename files 'la.dic', 'la.aff' to 'fa.dic', 'fa.aff'
    4. Zip the folder with unzipped files, rename .zip file to .xpi
  • Install changed file
Now you can switch spell checking between your language and "Farsi", which is in fact Toki Pona.
jan Ote

Post by jan Ote »

janMato wrote:I still working on getting it work work in Firefox.
Where is a problem? Does it install after you renamed the file to .xpi extension and opened it with Firefox?
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

I was able to download a folder with two files in it, but wasn't able to get Firefox to understand how to open either the folder or either of the files. I am running Firefox on a windows emulator on a mac though, so I don't know if that is the problem.
jan Ote

Post by jan Ote »

It is one file, with zipped content. After downloading the file you should change last part of its name, change it's extension from .zip to .xpi (use "show extensions option", "do not hide extensions", or similar, in your file manager). Without this step, without renaming the file, it will not be seen by Firefox as an add-on. If you have problem with this, I can send you already renamed file via e-mail.

Then click it and "open with..." in "Explorer/Konqueror/Your FileManager" window (sorry, never used Mac), to open it with Firefox.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

When I download it it comes as a folder named 'tp-dictionary' with a folder named 'dictionaries' and something named install.rdf. Inside of 'dictionaries' is an 'la.aff' and 'la.dic'. I will PM my email address to you.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

tenpo ni la mi kepeken ilo Firefox. ilo sina li pali pona!
It works great even with Firefox running native on a mac.