Disyllabic Names

Discuss any other topic in here.
Diskutu ĉiujn aliajn temojn ĉi tie.
loewe

Re: Disyllabic Names

Post by loewe »

mi kepeken ala e nimi toki pona mi. ona li "jan Lowe". taso "loewe" li pona tawa mi. "jan Lowe" li pona kute ala a~
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

'nimi pi toki pona mi' or (maybe better because less ambiguous) 'nimi mi pi toki pona'
It depends upon how "loewe" is pronounced (there are about a half dozen immediate possibilities). I assume it is not "low weh" so "lay weh" or "low veh" or "lay veh" or (my German teacher would hate this, but it works so well) "lur-weh" or "lur veh". Then you have a few choices about how that goes over into tp" l goes to l, of course, and o to o, and w to w and both ay and eh go to e usually, v can go to w or p, ur can go to e or u or i. And, of course, you can call yourself whatever you want so long as it is pretty much tp (which "loewe" isn't , however it is pronounced). One person with a perfectly lovely tp name available chose to translate it, giving a longer -- but funnier -- tp word. So, maybe 'Soweliwawa'?
loewe

Post by loewe »

Judging from the information in your post, I recognize that you are a very wise person, jan Kipo. But why must you go around correcting my perfectly good tp sentences? Yes, my sentence was ambiguous. But I'm an ambiguous person. tp is an ambiguous language. It's not like I learned tp yesterday, either. I've been using it frequently for the past two years going on my third. I think you can hardly call me incompetent unless I rush what I'm typing. I think I don't need corrections on every corner.
^The above was me getting worked up over nothing. Symptoms can include nastiness, rudeness, sarcasm, and other minor maladies. So please, don't take it to heart; it just annoys me when people correct me all the time.

Loewe is German. It is written, obviously, "löwe". It is pronounced [lœvə] in Standard High German. Now, since I don't like the spelling Lewa (which is the closest in pronunciation in terms of vowel height and other phonological characteristics) or 'Soweliwawa' as you suggested (I tried it before posting my original post; didn't work), I chose "Lowe" to share because the spelling corresponded well and it seemed to me more euphonic (my spell-checker says that's not a word... it lies) than any other possibility.

I still prefer loewe to anything else, though.
jan_Pusa

Post by jan_Pusa »

pisku wrote:mi jan Pisku lol XD don´t know if pisku is correct because in another forum told me is pisiku
Yeah, that was me. I suggested "Pisuku". But that would be a trisyllabic name...
olin jan li ike la ni li pakala mute.
Kung ang mahalin ka ay bawal, ito'y napakasakit.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

loewe wrote:Judging from the information in your post, I recognize that you are a very wise person, jan Kipo.
Flattery will get you nowhere (and sarcastic flattery even less far). I am sorry that I misread your situation, however -- it's hard to separate the noobies from the pros and we all make mistakes.
But why must you go around correcting my perfectly good tp sentences? Yes, my sentence was ambiguous. But I'm an ambiguous person. tp is an ambiguous language.
Still, I did think you wanted to talk about your toki pona name, not your good talking-name.
It's not like I learned tp yesterday, either. I've been using it frequently for the past two years going on my third. I think you can hardly call me incompetent unless I rush what I'm typing. I think I don't need corrections on every corner.
^The above was me getting worked up over nothing. Symptoms can include nastiness, rudeness, sarcasm, and other minor maladies. So please, don't take it to heart; it just annoys me when people correct me all the time.
Tell me about it!
Loewe is German.
ko jaki ala
It is written, obviously, "löwe". It is pronounced [lœvə] in Standard High German. Now, since I don't like the spelling Lewa (which is the closest in pronunciation in terms of vowel height and other phonological characteristics) or 'Soweliwawa' as you suggested (I tried it before posting my original post; didn't work), I chose "Lowe" to share because the spelling corresponded well and it seemed to me more euphonic (my spell-checker says that's not a word... it lies) than any other possibility.
Yeah, mine insists on "euphonious"
I still prefer loewe to anything else, though.
Then use away -- but it ain't tp.