Greek-based small-lang

Tinkerers Anonymous: Some people can't help making changes to "fix" Toki Pona. This is a playground for their ideas.
Tokiponidistoj: Iuj homoj nepre volas fari ŝanĝojn por "ripari" Tokiponon. Jen ludejo por iliaj ideoj.
janMato

Greek-based small-lang

Post by janMato »

This sort of looks like a basic-english-but-greek more than a toki pona derivative. Lexicon at end includes dingbat ideograms. Paper is mixed English and Greek. So it's half Greek to me.

http://academia.edu/3792564/ONOMA_ARITh ... _MEGA_MEGA

(post originally found on the tp wikipedia article, where it seems inappropriate)
janKipo

Re: Greek-based small-lang

Post by janKipo »

Well, my Greek is rusty (to put it mildly) but the combination of an unexplained transliteration and the choppy presentation (lines missing or broken in unexplained ways) make it hard to follow. I gather though that this *is* Basic Greek (Free Greek) with a restricted vocabulary but most of the various forms of the paradigms intact. It is one language based and so easier (in a way -- we know many of the words here) than tp, but since there are changes in words from role to role, it is also harder. It might be a way to start learning modern Greek, though, which is one step toward koine', which is two steps toward classical and then three toward Homeric.
SostiMatiko

Post by SostiMatiko »

Hi! this is not THE jan nasa (who might try to alter toki pona), because i do NOT wish to alter toki pona; Simply, i have made two different languages, the Free Greek Language and SostiMatiko. I must explain that these are two languages very different from each other: all Greeks readily understand the Free Greek Language although it has a grammar reduced to the utmost and so very different to ordinary Greek grammatically. HOWEVER, not even one Greek (other than me) so far has been able to understand SostiMatiko without help. You must not confuse these two.
The FreeGreek has a type with a minimal vocabulary deliberately close to that of toki pona, and a friend has made a digital tool to translate from tp into minimal FreeGreek and vice versa (its practical usefulness is only to help me or any Greek speaking person communicate with the tokiponists). In practice, FreeGreek has never used that minimal vocabulary except for a sample; FreeGreek simply uses all the ordinary Greek vocabulary.
SostiMatiko is VERY DIFFERENT even to the minimal FreeGreek. SostiMatiko is intended for international use, while FreeGreek of whatever vocabulary is only for communicating with Greeks.
SostiMatiko is really too different than toki pona: the only thing they share in common is minimality, but even so: SostiMatiko is almost double that tp. It has 222 main words since the beginning (conceived in 2007) until fully fledged (in December 2013). Since June 2013, almost every day i attempt to find any weakness with SostiMatiko and i have made many changes; since some weeks, it has come to a point that i can no more make any improvements (although i still endeavor to), so i dared to create the https://www.facebook.com/groups/omado.sosti.matiko/ and you, as minimalist linguists, are especially welcome to join and make comments or suggestions.
I know janKipo has trouble viewing excel files, however, that was the best format for me to convey the SostiMatiko.
If you have any other questions about unclear points or anything, please do not hesitate to ask.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Hi! this is not THE jan nasa (who might try to alter toki pona), because i do NOT wish to alter toki pona
Ha! Yeah, that's just the name of the sub forum, not the poster's opinion of what he posts about. Here I usually post stuff that either relates to reforming toki pona, or other toki-pona-like small languages.

Finally, I found the English summary of the language:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:888gowinda

Good article-- if you post it early to real wikipedia, you will be fighting delete-wars forever. (Toki pona has survived 6 delete attempts, most other conlangs get deleted immediately)

As soon as I have free time, I hope to read this. (That's progress, normally one can't motivate the interest to read about a language, let alone memorize the vocab!)
SostiMatiko

Post by SostiMatiko »

Yes, i know toki pona survived numerous delete attempts, and i know very well that my SostiMatiko would not stand in WP. I have it there as a user's page because i like the format.
When i said i m not THE jan nasa, i mean that i don't know if i m nasa or not, and surely i will not be offended if you call me that name (you see, there have been occasions i have been called some synonyms of that) but what i can affirm is that i am not one who wants to alter tp. This is why i wrote THE in capital letters.
When you have an opinion about SostiMatiko, please let me know. I cannot hide i m so enthusiastic about it because when i try to criticize it and even find faults with it, it withstands! When i make a text in it, i admire what it can do, as if it is not my creation. It is like a child, we only give a body for our children, they grow independently and they often grow higher than ourselves;
often i find things that i have difficulty to express in SostiMatiko; then after a while, great solutions appear. Today i put a text to your fb shorter than the WP user page, to explain the advantages of SostiMatiko.
By the way, in SostiMatiko "mato" means "eye" (long before i met you). It can be taken from Greek máti, but in most Austronesian languages it is mata (you have a Tagalog speaker at home, right?), in my opinion from ProtoHuman root math "to perceive", hence Greek math- (see MATHematics etc).
You say it is Greek-based, basically yes it is, but it has gone so far from live Greek and often towards the ProtoHuman language (which was real i m telling you), that in fact no Greek can understand it better than you.
Please do not hesitate to ask any question about it, in such a case rather write to https://www.facebook.com/groups/omado.sosti.matiko/ because i m normally not in this forum.