Some missing words

Tinkerers Anonymous: Some people can't help making changes to "fix" Toki Pona. This is a playground for their ideas.
Tokiponidistoj: Iuj homoj nepre volas fari ŝanĝojn por "ripari" Tokiponon. Jen ludejo por iliaj ideoj.
jan Akesimun

Re: Some missing words

Post by jan Akesimun »

That would be a good idea, actually. It would add easy ways to express more concepts, and add meanings to underused words. After all, how often do we even use the color words here?
Yo estuve aquí.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Re: color spectrum schemes

Shouldn't white and black play a role?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

The political side of colors has reversed in the US: red is now for conservative states and blue for liberal states (within the US range, which from almost Christian Democrats to nearly Social Democrats, but not quite). The red and blue, if based on the litmus test (I can't remember which is which now), is a little more universal. Even black and white don't have universal symbolism. So we would have to think any such usages through very carefully.
This not a bad idea and might be expanded to emotions and the like, though the connections there are even more culture bound (even subculture, see "blue").
szilard

Post by szilard »

janKipo wrote:This not a bad idea and might be expanded to emotions and the like, though the connections there are even more culture bound (even subculture, see "blue").
Since Toki Pona is culture based, we know for each word the origins, I think it would be OK to expand this way, as long as we document where the meaning comes from.
"pilin laso = sad" is OK as long as we add the origin (English), or at least the legendary origin: "deepwater sailing ships if ship lost captain, or any officer, during voyage, ship would fly Blue Flags and have Blue Band painted along entire hull when returning to port."
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Really? I hadn't heard that one before. (I believe about as much as I generally do these tales, see "posh") But in English (some Englishes, anyhow) "blue" also mean "obscene" and "drunk" and "cold" and probably several more.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

janKipo wrote:The political side of colors has reversed in the US: red is now for conservative states and blue for liberal states (within the US range, which from almost Christian Democrats to nearly Social Democrats, but not quite). The red and blue, if based on the litmus test (I can't remember which is which now), is a little more universal. Even black and white don't have universal symbolism. So we would have to think any such usages through very carefully.
Once i used nasin loje to say communism
szilard wrote: "pilin laso = sad" is OK as long as we add the origin (English), or at least the legendary origin: "deepwater sailing ships if ship lost captain, or any officer, during voyage, ship would fly Blue Flags and have Blue Band painted along entire hull when returning to port."
Blues comes from avoir de bleus à l'âme, old french expression wich means it hurts the soul.
But yes the other explanation makes sense too
szilard

Post by szilard »

Yeah, we could associate musical and art stiles with color too.
We need a big synaesthetic chart.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Color is useful for distinguishing
Debt management
Pet insurance
Norwich web design - primus.org.uk
szilard

Post by szilard »

Here is a proposal to start somewhere:
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

szilard wrote:Here is a proposal to start somewhere:
i suggest to exclude "kule", as well as feeling, music, visual arts, literature and chemical and focus on taste and odour. we can keep politics as well, but only because it was extensively used earlier in different countries. nowdays, the most developed (to my knowledge) political scheme is used in Germany, tey use routinly red black green yellow and sometimes brown.in russian colour map (at the time of revolution) we had red (this you probably know), whites were counter-revolution forces, primary monarchists; the anarchists were green or black. later the fascists have won a firm association with brown. remarkably, on russian and soviet and modern tactical maps enemies are marked with blue, but own troops with red. also, if i use a "track change" option in my word installed uder russian windows, then my changes are red and the other party is blue.but when i used it on german os it was vice versa.

for tastes i suggest:
pilin uta walo - salty taste (salt)
pilin uta jelo - sour taste (lemon)
pilin uta loje - spicy taste (pepper)
pilin uta laso - mint taste (should be green, but...)
pilin uta pimeja - bitter taste