Add a word for drug/medicine

Tinkerers Anonymous: Some people can't help making changes to "fix" Toki Pona. This is a playground for their ideas.
Tokiponidistoj: Iuj homoj nepre volas fari ŝanĝojn por "ripari" Tokiponon. Jen ludejo por iliaj ideoj.
janSakewi

Re: Add a word for drug/medicine

Post by janSakewi »

janKipo wrote:I don't think that "quick" and "live" have the same IE source (I don't see where the "l" could come from), but that "quick" means historically "alive", is 1) common knowledge from reading old stuff and 2) notes from a class in 1958-9 in IE morphology.
After reading this post, I did some research and I found that the Latin word for "quick" (citatus) actially derives from the PIE word for "life" (cita). Not only that, but a related Latin root "celer", which also means "quick", gives us the the English word accelerate.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Neat! I was thinking about the IE root QIV: vivus, bios, jiva , which might be related to cita as well. But "live" and "life" still seem off on a different line.
janKilu

Post by janKilu »

I always say "palisa ike" for cigarrettes and "palisa nasa" for joints, however I feel I must say "palisa pona".

For junk "ko nasa/ike"

most of the definitions on that big list above li pona tawa mi.
janSakewi

Post by janSakewi »

janKipo wrote:Neat! I was thinking about the IE root QIV: vivus, bios, jiva , which might be related to cita as well. But "live" and "life" still seem off on a different line.
You were talking about the word "alive", right? I'm pretty sure that in PIE, to get "alive" from "live", you would need to go through some noun form. Anyway, I'm using an online dictionary for my roots, and it looks like the root for "live" is "ciwos"?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Different tradition (you think there is only one PIE?). 'ciwos' doesn't work for 'bios' unless 'c' is a labeovelar. Actually, as I look at what I wrote, I have three adjectives and a noun. The point is that I don't see where the 'l' in 'life, lively, live' can come from, if you start with QIV or ciwos.
janSakewi

Post by janSakewi »

janSakewi wrote:
janKipo wrote:Neat! I was thinking about the IE root QIV: vivus, bios, jiva , which might be related to cita as well. But "live" and "life" still seem off on a different line.
You were talking about the word "alive", right? I'm pretty sure that in PIE, to get "alive" from "live", you would need to go through some noun form. Anyway, I'm using an online dictionary for my roots, and it looks like the root for "live" is "ciwos"?
I had written a whole long reply here, but when I was looking up a source, my message disappeared. Now that I see your latest post, I am going on a different line.
In the quoted message above, you name one of your roots as "jiva". I'm not sure as to how the j is pronounced, but I will try it as a alveolar voiced affricative. Taking c as an alveolar unvoiced fricative, j and c are in relationship. Also, if you look at the map I have traced out right here: PIE -> Latin -> Old English, you see that it passes through Latin. In Latin, w=v=u. QED.

Also, I found the etymology of "life". It appears to come from the PIE root "lip".
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

'jiva' is Sanskrit for "alive" and comes quite regularly from GwIV (labial dropped, velar palatalized before i) 'j' is a palatal affricate, pretty much like English (sorry about writing Q =Kw, for Gw -- bad memory.) So "life" is from LIBh (my traditions's version) -- that looks much more likely. And unrelated to "quick".