Are there any words you've found yourself wanting?

Tinkerers Anonymous: Some people can't help making changes to "fix" Toki Pona. This is a playground for their ideas.
Tokiponidistoj: Iuj homoj nepre volas fari ŝanĝojn por "ripari" Tokiponon. Jen ludejo por iliaj ideoj.
janKipo

Re: Are there any words you've found yourself wanting?

Post by janKipo »

The problem wiht "eight states away' is that we have no tensors, only a few vectors ('tan' at the origin -- with "here" at the apex, and the mirror 'tawa'). "Through" would help here and 'nasin' looks a good candidate ("via" and all). I think this creative work is important, but it needs to be put into text, not just discussion. It is use that is the final criterion for being in the language.
pisku

Post by pisku »

I hope to get words for directions. <-left, -> right, up and down
also words for:
keep (save), put in-insert-cultivate
sphere,ball, globe ex= "?" + suli= planet (I think sike shold mean only circle, not and spheric thing)
machine, something artificial ex= sitelen + "?" (writing machine - tipyng machine) ex= kipisi + "?" (cutting machine)
vehicule, transport
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Yeah, directions have been a problem - aside from North and South (and those aren't entirely satisfying), We have "beside" but no way of saying which side when not in sight. "up, down, in front, behind, above, below" are all covered sorta (but "sorta"" is usually as good as it gets in a minimal language).
"Keep, save" is probably either 'awen jo' or the reverse or even just 'awen'.
"Planet" generally seems to be covered by 'mun'. 'sike', as you note, covers all things roundish in 2 and 3D (and this is not an obvious place to expand vocab.)
"machine" and tools in general are covered by 'ilo' (which, as a match with 'kepeken' could be eliminated -- or 'kepeken' could be).
Vehicles tend to be seen as constructions, 'tomo', with modifiers.
"Insert" or "puncture" or "poke" or "hit" (and these may be more than one), do seem like an area in need of some filling.
"cultivate" gets lost in general work, 'pali', though several extensions might make it clearer.
Most of what we have could be improved , I'm sure; and there are still areas where even more problems keep arising. More suggestions are always welcome, including ways to get around what currently seem to be problems.
janMato

Post by janMato »

pisku wrote:I hope to get words for directions. <-left, -> right, up and down
also words for:
keep (save), put in-insert-cultivate
sphere,ball, globe ex= "?" + suli= planet (I think sike shold mean only circle, not and spheric thing)
machine, something artificial ex= sitelen + "?" (writing machine - tipyng machine) ex= kipisi + "?" (cutting machine)
vehicule, transport
poka mi, poka sina (my side, your side, only works if both people are facing the same direction)
mi awen e mani mi lon tomo mani. Saving money.
mi pini e pini jan tan moli. To save a life
jan sewi li pilin e ni: sina tawa ala ma anpa. Religious salvation.

If toki pona is to be guided by science, then yeah spheres are mun, that is a good point. If we are to be guided by what a primative society might think, then mun is obviously a wheel of cheese, and mun shaped means kind of like a pockmarked millstone.

ilo tawa is a vehicle. ilo sike is probably a wheel. We don't have a base word for wagon or wheel, so the toki ponans don't seem to be as advanced as the indoeuropeans-- but they are rather financially sophisticated with mani which appears to mean coin and cows, and maybe sea shells or ostrich shells. The challenge with using mani to mean sea shells or ostrich egg beads is that not many people know that shells used to be money or agree that they really were used like money.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

And, of course, they can't count what they have or boast about it, etc.
"I stopped the human end from death"? Seems roundabout if it gets there at all. 'mi weka e jan tan moli'
Well, mun are spheres, certainly, but I'm not sure the reverse holds: I think using 'mun' for a child's ball would be confusing (cute fairy tale aside).
tpans sound a little like Mayans and other C &S American civilizations (though they didn't even have the wheel).
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

MESSAGE DELETED
Last edited by Kuti on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Various canonical musings on mun:

http://en.tokipona.org/wiki/Talk:mun (for the formatted section)
http://en.tokipona.org/w/index.php?titl ... ction=edit (for the unformatted section)

In general the astronomy word phrases are science based and mostly inspired by science jargon used in English (internationally? not sure how widespread astronomy jargon is)
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

'tenpo pimeja ni LA' 'mun' is basically any satellite of any body, preferably spherical and in a regular orbit. I'm not sure about comets, asteroids, small icy bodies, and the like.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

MESSAGE DELETED
Last edited by Kuti on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
janMatelen

Post by janMatelen »

I'm hoping for a way to express relative clauses other than "[NP] ni: [sentence]" (I'm a little obsessed with relative clauses). And a word for life would be nice.