"mi" li "mi mute"

Mind and thought: Wisdom, mental health, cognition, self-talk, consciousness, philosophy, psychology, optimizing your thinking, productivity hacks
Menso kaj penso: Saĝaĵoj, psiĥa sano, kogno, memparolado, psiĥa stato, filozofio, psikologio, rearanĝi sian pensadon, plibonigi sian produktokapablon
janKipo

Re: "mi" li "mi mute"

Post by janKipo »

Actually, not mine but standard -- just not in Sonja or Pije, as far as I can recall. It follows from the general characterization of a 'la' phrase as setting the context within which the following sentence is true.
tp is mainly a written language and so colloquialisms are rare, except in a few texts with dialog. In those texts, fragments are almost as common as they are in any spoken language, somewhere around 50%. A linear grammar has to just allow that any well-formed sentence part can turn up as an utterance, a de facto sentence, and count as grammatical. A deeper grammar might reject some as not having recoverable antecedents, but such thoughts are not available in your sort of grammar.
jan_Lope

Post by jan_Lope »

Actually, not mine but standard -- just not in Sonja or Pije, as far as I can recall.
Standard is relative. Most people learn and use Toki Pona based on lessons of Sonja or Pije. But be happy with your own "standard".

Maybe we have different point of view. My aim is that people can understand me. The best way for this is to accept and use the rules.
pona!
jan Lope
https://jan-lope.github.io
(Lessons and the Toki Pona Parser - A tool for spelling, grammar check and ambiguity check of Toki Pona)

On my foe list are the sockpuppets janKipo and janSilipu because of permanent spamming.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I agree, but I belong to a community of long standing tp users who have developed rules which Sonja and Pije ignore (since they don't spend much time here). This is the community to which newbies ought to aspire, since it is the ongoing tp tradition, not the drop in, then drop out, then drop in again sort. It is the tradition that has generated most of the tp corpus, up to about a year ago and most of the intelligible corpus since even then. Yes, follow the rules, but the real ones in use every day, not those from some remote ivory tower whipped out for a publication deadline. Not that there is that much difference; we oldbies do understand the old-fashioned new remarks (we started with those same rules) and are happy to help others along the last couple steps.
jan_Lope

Post by jan_Lope »

Jan Kipo,

Do you think about why Sonja, Pije and many others are very seldom here and you are nearly alone in this forum?
pona!
jan Lope
https://jan-lope.github.io
(Lessons and the Toki Pona Parser - A tool for spelling, grammar check and ambiguity check of Toki Pona)

On my foe list are the sockpuppets janKipo and janSilipu because of permanent spamming.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Rarely. I assume that they have lives of their own that are not bound up with tp and I don't. But, ipso facto, that puts them in a terrible position to say what tp is like and puts me in a rather good one. I do wish that more of the stuff that goes on on Facebook (and lately on G+) were here on the Forums, but that is not the way things are turning out. Still, I maintain a presence in both places; Sonja and Pije in neither and you only here.