toki pona tawa jan lili pi toki ala

Mind and thought: Wisdom, mental health, cognition, self-talk, consciousness, philosophy, psychology, optimizing your thinking, productivity hacks
Menso kaj penso: Saĝaĵoj, psiĥa sano, kogno, memparolado, psiĥa stato, filozofio, psikologio, rearanĝi sian pensadon, plibonigi sian produktokapablon
nanpa wan

toki pona tawa jan lili pi toki ala

Post by nanpa wan »

Hi there!
I'm new to the toki pona community. I've been studying for maybe a week and a half now, and I already know most of the dictionary, but I still need to work on my grammar.
I'm wondering though, is there such thing as toki pona sign language?
I'm thinking that if there is, it would probably be a very useful tool for communication with babies. Babies are able to understand language long before they're able to speak it, due to the late development of vocal chords. toki pona, being a language defined by simplicity, combined with the aspect of communication through physical movement, would allow infants to break the barrier of verbal communication and complexities of language, and learn quickly to articulate themselves clearly at a very early age.
Is anyone out there speaking toki pona to their children?
janKipo

Re: toki pona http://forums.tokipona.ortawa jan lili pi toki

Post by janKipo »

Not that I know of, probably for lack of infants at hand. But the idea is a good one, up to a point. As for a sign language, we just need a bout 120 signs (we could get them out of an ASL dictionary, for example) and do signed tp. To do real tp sign language would be more complex and, probably, less useful, since it does not lend itself so readily to transition to speech (and, I have no iea what would be tpish about any sign language).
Logomachist

Wasn't the Toki Pona book to have a section about signed tp?

Post by Logomachist »

Wasn't the Toki Pona book going to have a section about signed tp?
janSilipu

Re: toki pona tawa jan lili pi toki ala

Post by janSilipu »

Among other things, but it is hardly forthcoming and I haven't seen anything about tpsl in ages, including nothing from Sonja. (Signed conlangs was a fad a while ago but has faded a bit for lack of any interesting results --that are well-known at least.)
nanpa wan

Post by nanpa wan »

janSilipu wrote:Among other things, but it is hardly forthcoming and I haven't seen anything about tpsl in ages, including nothing from Sonja. (Signed conlangs was a fad a while ago but has faded a bit for lack of any interesting results --that are well-known at least.)
ni li ike tawa mi. mi wile jo e ijo pi lipu mute pi toki pona. ni li kama pona tawa jan ali.

...toki mi li pona ala pona?
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

Pona. mi pilin Ike tan ni: wile sina li Kama ala. Taso jan Sonja li pali. Jan pi Pali ala li Ken ala sitelen e lipu ni.
janMato

Post by janMato »

The sign language proposal was a short post on some photo sharing site of ... Ipernity - it is there somewhere... (if I remember correctly) ASL signs and ASL finger spell, but the photo set wasn't even complete. If implemented it would have been a signed toki pona, not a sign language (trying to finger spell or make a hand motion for every morpheme in a typical spoken language has proven to be a disaster for at least French, English and probably many other natural languages).

I did write up a bit about sign conlangs and how toki pona might be made into a signing conlang: http://www.suburbandestiny.com/conlang/?p=493

The only sign conlang I've heard of is gestuno as sort of esperanto style sign language, which I assume is based on a vocab of signs common or similar in many world sign languages. But I'm assuming... too lazy to even look it up in wikipedia. Sigh.