twitter and toki pona

Mind and thought: Wisdom, mental health, cognition, self-talk, consciousness, philosophy, psychology, optimizing your thinking, productivity hacks
Menso kaj penso: Saĝaĵoj, psiĥa sano, kogno, memparolado, psiĥa stato, filozofio, psikologio, rearanĝi sian pensadon, plibonigi sian produktokapablon
janMato

twitter and toki pona

Post by janMato »

toki lili is still the pre-eminent toki pona only website for mini-blogging. However, it has a much smaller user base than twitter's and lacks the 3rd party tools that twitter has. Also, if you look at the user base on livejournal, (the old) yahoo list, the forum, toki lili, independent blogs, wikipedia and wikia, one notices that there is some overlap, but mostly these are balkanized communities. This is most pronounced with wikia, where when I read pages there, I feel like I'm reading a distinct dialect. My point is that it pays to pay attention to all online communities, it is easier than convincing everyone to use the same website(s).

Twitter users usually don't use two accounts. This means they tend to tweet in both toki pona and their mother tongue. I cope with this by using lists and separate all the people I follow into. Then I use a google chrome plug in to translate the mother tongue part. Despite the technical pain, this gives me a chance to learn who these people are as people. On toki lili, people post so little, I really don't know if people there are young, old, techies, chefs, candle stick makers, etc.

- The Portuguese/toki pona list (99% Portuguese <1% toki pona.): twitter.com/#/list/janMato/toki-pona-portuguese
- A toki pona only list: twitter.com/#/list/janMato/toki-pona-only

Using a toki pona only account is a good thing If you want people to follow you, using a toki pona only account is really makes it easier to be followed. Otherwise you are asking your users to do what I had to do to effectively cope with 50 accounts of people who tweet in 20+ languages, but in toki pona only <1% of the time. On all of twitter at the moment, there are only about 4 toki pona only accounts but about ~25-50 who've used toki pona once.

Twitter is driven by @mentions #hash and rss feeds of search keywords Conversations about toki pona burst into existence and disappear really fast. Effectively participating requires a client like tweet deck for the @mentionsearches, #hash tag searches and something like google reader for RSS feeds of searches.

- Mentions: twitter.com/#search?q=%40janMato
- Hashtags: twitter.com/#search?q=%23unpa
- Keywords: twitter.com/#search?q=toki%20pona%20OR%20tokipona

toki lili and twitter integration
You can link your twitter account to toki lili and sign in with twitter credentials. Posts from toki lili can be cross posted effortlessly to twitter. This kind of sort of works. toki lili is inherently threaded and twitter is not. Replies on toki lili or twitter do not flow in both directions. toki lili posts a backlink to toki lili, which leads to double URLs when the subject of the tweet is a link. Also, toki lili thinks all hash tags are toki lili hashtags, when in fact a hash tag could mean a string of messages on twitter or toki lili.

What does twitter have that toki lili doesn't?
Um, tweetpic (twitpic.com/), twitter RSVP engines (twtvite.com/), clients for every device in the word, scheduled tweets for cross-time-zone tweeting (twuffer.com/), and on and on(http://www.longest.com/2008/10/28/top-twitter-tools/).