Increased awareness of garden path sentences

Mind and thought: Wisdom, mental health, cognition, self-talk, consciousness, philosophy, psychology, optimizing your thinking, productivity hacks
Menso kaj penso: Saĝaĵoj, psiĥa sano, kogno, memparolado, psiĥa stato, filozofio, psikologio, rearanĝi sian pensadon, plibonigi sian produktokapablon
janMato

Increased awareness of garden path sentences

Post by janMato »

I've been paying attention to my mind to see if there are any noticeable changes while studying toki pona, so far I've noticed I'm more likely to parse ordinary English in two ways. This is like the experience you get reading: "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

This is different from the ordinary interference I get from the other languages I'm working on. I usually get re-call interference, like where I can remember what красный, but not rauður when trying to say something in Icelandic.

Anyone else notice this phenomena?

tenpo li waso sama linja utala. pili kili li wile e kili jelo. Hmm, it loses something in translation.
janKipo

Re: Increased awareness of garden path sentences

Post by janKipo »

tenpo li tawa sama palisa utala. kili jelo li pona tawa pipi kili. Well, it is disambiguating at least. Because the syntax is so much simpler, garden pathing is rarer in tp (I think) but often more embarrassing. The big offenders seem to be words like 'tawa,' which perform multiple functions in the same slots (or apparently so). See my oeuvre for numerous examples.
Logomachist

What is garden pathing?

Post by Logomachist »

What is garden pathing?
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

As I understand it, it is when you are reading along, thinking that a sentence is saying one thing, until you get to a word that doesn't make sense. Then you have to go back to the beginning of the sentence and start again with another interpretation.
This wikipedia article probably explains it better than I just did.
jan musi pi len noka

Post by jan musi pi len noka »

A better title of this thread would be "increased awareness of alternate semantic readings and alternate syntactical readings of sentences in ones own language"
jan Kanso

Post by jan Kanso »

e.g. :

ni li tomo tawa mi en meli mi.

(this is my car and my wife vs. this is a house for me and my wife)

jan Kanso

Title of an article in an Australian newspaper : "British left waffles on Falklands" !
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Wouldn't the first reading strictly require 'pi'?
The leaving of Belgian breadstuffs in the South Atlantic is not strictly Garden Pathing, since you can get the whole way through without problem; it's just that when you get to the end you may realize that there is another way through. Typically, Garden Pathing involves stopping part way through when you hit something that can't fit in the way your are going. There are dozens of funny examples absolutely none of which come to mind at the moment.
jan Kanso

Post by jan Kanso »

[quote="janKipo"]Wouldn't the first reading strictly require 'pi'?

no : "ni li tomo tawa pi mi en meli mi" means : "This is my and my wife's house"
jan Kanso

Post by jan Kanso »

jan Kanso wrote:
janKipo wrote:Wouldn't the first reading strictly require 'pi'?

no : "ni li tomo tawa pi mi en meli mi" means : "This is my and my wife's house"
pakala !

read : "ni li tomo pi mi en meli mi"
jan Kanso

Post by jan Kanso »

janKipo wrote: The leaving of Belgian breadstuffs in the South Atlantic is not strictly Garden Pathing, since you can get the whole way through without problem; it's just that when you get to the end you may realize that there is another way through. Typically, Garden Pathing involves stopping part way through when you hit something that can't fit in the way your are going. There are dozens of funny examples absolutely none of which come to mind at the moment.
Add "war" at the end of the sentence and it meets your demands about correct garden pathing !