mi toki ante e toki musi "You are My Sunshine"

Creativity: Poetry, music, comics, etc.
Kreado: Poezio, muziko, bildrakontoj, ktp.
janKulisa

mi toki ante e toki musi "You are My Sunshine"

Post by janKulisa »

And it's even singable - sort of...

sina suno mi.
a! sina suno mi.
sina lon la
mi pilin pona.
sina sona ala
e olin suli mi.
o weka ala e suno mi!

The melodic tweaks necessary to make this work are too numerous to fully specify here; I'll link to a recording when I have one.

Other than that, the only thing I'm unsure about is whether I can describe "olin" as "suli", or whether a different word would be better.
sike lawa ni
li ike tawa mi
janKipo

Re: mi toki ante e toki musi "You are My Sunshine"

Post by janKipo »

Sure, go ahead.
I would try something more with "You make me happy when skies are gray" but everything I can think of is way too long.
pona mute. kama pona tawa toki pona.
janKulisa

Post by janKulisa »

Yeah, I thought about that for quite a while, but couldn't get anything that remotely fit the tune. Unlike my Esperanto translation, where that part was rendered "Min feliĉigas Dum pluva hor'" (me make-happy during a rainy hour) which has the added bonus of rhyming with "neniam prenu la sunbrilon for" (never take the sunshine away). But, oh well, every language has its special challenges, and in this case I decided to try to at least convey the "you make me happy" part, even if the gray sky part didn't fit. But maybe I can make a second verse about the gray sky; and then we'll have it covered :-).

btw the subject line says "toki ante"; should that be "ante toki" (for "translate" )? I always get confused about the word order, and the fact that lately I've been doing a lot of studying Lojban, which orders things differently, doesn't help!
sike lawa ni
li ike tawa mi
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Yeah, Lojban always screws tp up, trying to be precise rather than loosey-goosey. And being right grouping doesn't help. But the section title amounts to the issue of what you want it to say. I think ( and I think most agree), that the verb and noun for translation is 'ante toki', so the title says "different language", somethig about the source of the material perhaps, as opposed to musi which come directly in tp. But it could mean "speak differently" which is a possible "translate", too. in fact, a lot of strngs make pretty much the same sense either way, but I'm not sure this is one.
janKulisa

Post by janKulisa »

Lojban is left-grouping by default; it just has modifiers first instead of last.

I'll try to remember that "ante toki"; "language type-of change", I guess, which does make sense.
sike lawa ni
li ike tawa mi
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Oh, roght! too mayny siftsu ovver
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Oh, right! too many shifts over 60 years. PLGS started out (and has been occasionally since) P(L(GS)), which in AN languages makes grammar easier, but conflicts with the habits of mathematicians and logicians. tp keeps NA and left grouping together. but is not very logical, of course, and has no rules for grouping connectives or quantifiers.
janKulisa

Post by janKulisa »

Here's the link to the recording (no, I don't have glamorous recording equimpent):

https://soundcloud.com/christa-hansberry/sina-suno-mi
sike lawa ni
li ike tawa mi
jan_Lope

Post by jan_Lope »

sina suno mi.
a! sina suno mi.
sina lon la
mi pilin pona.
sina sona ala
e olin suli mi.
o weka ala e suno mi!
Can I use your song in as a text example in my lessons?
pona!
jan Lope
https://jan-lope.github.io
(Lessons and the Toki Pona Parser - A tool for spelling, grammar check and ambiguity check of Toki Pona)

On my foe list are the sockpuppets janKipo and janSilipu because of permanent spamming.
janKulisa

Post by janKulisa »

jan_Lope wrote: Can I use your song in as a text example in my lessons?
Of what not to do? :lol:

But, yeah, if you think my song would be useful for learners of tp, you're welcome to use it!
sike lawa ni
li ike tawa mi