toki musi pi tenpo mun ali tawa jan pi toki pona

Creativity: Poetry, music, comics, etc.
Kreado: Poezio, muziko, bildrakontoj, ktp.
janMato

Re: toki musi pi tenpo mun ali tawa jan pi toki pona

Post by janMato »

I think I've got the largest consolidated collection of pure tp texts in one place:

http://tokipona.net/tp/CorpusReadability.aspx

If I were a paid editor, rather than a hobbyist that sometimes has free times and gets excessively interested in things, the I'd require contributors to:

1 Provide a parallel text at least chunked/matched up by paragraph, preferably by sentence, but that could make for some awkward English translations.
2 Provide a phrase glossary for any clever noun or verb phrases, or creative single word uses
3 Provide an interlinear gloss for any clever sentences.

Without out all that, an editor can't really decide how to fix whats wrong. And #3 is the most laborious, but would help the most in deciding if a clever construction is okay.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

Jan KoAla wrote:I was thinking just interent. I don't think anyone is willing to put in the money for a paper one right now.
It's true, that is why i said "printable", only for people who wants to print with the printer.
like this
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/37/78071 ... 0d2125.jpg
But yes, internet is much better.

But when i learnt, i printed the lessons :geek: :lol:

Some years ago there were punks in my town who made a fanzine, in paper. I always wonder why they didn't make an internet version :?
aikidave

Post by aikidave »

If you want to create a newsletter, I would recommend doing it online in a format similar to a blog. Since there would be multiple authors, I don't know if a blog would work; (I think a blog only allows 1 contributor). You could use a wiki like Wikia, http:/tokipona.wikia.comwiki/lipu_lawa (which already has some pages in toki pona) so that everyone could contribute. There are other free wikis as well.

I think the biggest problem would be getting enough authors to contribute, so the newsletter would take on a life of it's own. I find that I am so busy doing other things, that I only occasionally write in my toki pona blog.
janMato wrote:1 Provide a parallel text at least chunked/matched up by paragraph, preferably by sentence, but that could make for some awkward English translations.
I think that it is necessary to include the English translation in any newsletter as well, so readers can decipher what you are saying and editors can fix what you thought you were saying. In my blog, I have a separate page with the English translations, keyed to the entry date.

We are such a small community, that we shouldn't scatter ourselves in many separate areas. This forum should remain the central meeting place. For a while I would post my diary entries here in the forum to get feedback and corrections, and then post the corrected text in my blog.
janMato wrote:2 Provide a phrase glossary for any clever noun or verb phrases, or creative single word uses
I always use jan Kipo's spreadsheets to check on the meaning of various idioms and common phrases. I would be totally lost when translating text without his spreadsheet.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Said spreadsheet is 2(3? 4?) years out of date and interesting constructions turn up almost every day.
One thing a single website source could do is search out these new phrases and provide translations (and commentary -- some of them are pretty awful). Always remembering that none of them have official status and are strictly available for other meanings, as are other phrases for the given meaning.
We probably also need some mind expanding about what words mean so that deciphering phrases becomes a bit easier (Oh, --- means ... here!)
Jan KoAla

Post by Jan KoAla »

If I were a paid editor, rather than a hobbyist that sometimes has free times and gets excessively interested in things, the I'd require contributors to:

1 Provide a parallel text at least chunked/matched up by paragraph, preferably by sentence, but that could make for some awkward English translations.
2 Provide a phrase glossary for any clever noun or verb phrases, or creative single word uses
3 Provide an interlinear gloss for any clever sentences.
I think those are great rules too, and I think, combined with your "tp checklist", it could render any learner of toki pona a somewhat competent editor.
Some years ago there were punks in my town who made a fanzine, in paper. I always wonder why they didn't make an internet version
I think this is somewhat common really, because the dynamics of their community would probably be vastly different. A tight local group of people rather than the more loose distant group that there is for toki pona :D
If you want to create a newsletter, I would recommend doing it online in a format similar to a blog. Since there would be multiple authors, I don't know if a blog would work; (I think a blog only allows 1 contributor). You could use a wiki like Wikia, http:/tokipona.wikia.comwiki/lipu_lawa (which already has some pages in toki pona) so that everyone could contribute. There are other free wikis as well.
I actually thought about this too. You can have a blog that has multiple contributers, but it lacks a certain shine. However, I think that is probably the best avenue for now, if this is to take off. The wikia is not exactly the same idea. The wiki provides a lot of information from anybody without any real guidelines on how it should be. Plus, I don't think there should be two tp wikis.
We are such a small community, that we shouldn't scatter ourselves in many separate areas. This forum should remain the central meeting place. For a while I would post my diary entries here in the forum to get feedback and corrections, and then post the corrected text in my blog.
I agree with this too. However, I feel like the forums are much more for a kind of meta-discussion on toki pona, which is great, but doesn't drive a kind of further use in toki pona.
I think the biggest problem would be getting enough authors to contribute, so the newsletter would take on a life of it's own. I find that I am so busy doing other things, that I only occasionally write in my toki pona blog.
This is honestly what I think the biggest opstacle would be. However, if the intervals were long enough it could work just fine. Just a kind of relaxed release at whatever times we can decide are appropriate.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

well, interesting discussion your have here, but i would like to shift a focus a little.
so what is actually the journal? it is no longer just one more tribune for discussions. to me, journal is a quality certificate on a text. i.e., an egitor (e.g. jan Mato) and 2 anonymous referees do certify the quality of some particualr text, provided the author accounted all their criticism and/or recommendations. to me, only 2 tokiponic text could be certified like this: jan Kikamesi (both parts) and toki pi kalama pona suli (1st part). but not jan lawa lili! so, as jan Mato has thought about, we can start the journal as a collection of high quality texts. whoever wants to get a quality certificate, he should submitt his text to the editor for reviewing. most of journals demand that no part of this text was published earlier. but i think we should not follow this rule. i.e. the people may rewrite (in order to improve quality) their text(s) published earlier on this forum and submitt it.
iulius

Post by iulius »

I'd love to make an informal fanzine or journal on Internet, printer friendly, with some short tales, poetry... written in toki pona. Maybe there are people interested here :)
Please, forgive my poor english. If I'm not posting this in the right place then let me know :)
aikidave

Post by aikidave »

iulius wrote:I'd love to make an informal fanzine or journal on Internet, printer friendly, with some short tales, poetry... written in toki pona.
Post your short tales and poetry here in the forums. The people here will comment on your toki pona texts and give you suggestions.
You can update your toki pona text and then upload it to your fanzine on the internet, in a printer friendly format.
It is good to have another set of eyes read your texts first.
iulius

Post by iulius »

I'ts a great suggestion, Dave, sure I'll do it. Thank you :)

Indeed I'm looking for authors: not my own texts yet :roll: