nimi open pi toki pi utala tawa ma tomo Ilijon

Creativity: Poetry, music, comics, etc.
Kreado: Poezio, muziko, bildrakontoj, ktp.
janKipo

Re: nimi open pi toki pi utala tawa ma tomo Ilijon

Post by janKipo »

My objections to 'toki x' for "talk about x" are 1) it introduces yet another source of ambiguity: sina toki ike "You speak poorly" or "You discuss evil" 2) it opens up the notion that every verb has a complement place, with Lord knows what hideous results (though Mato will provide samples, I expect). Neither of these is particularly strong on its own and together they don't amount to much, but I think the first may be about as strong as objections can get.
The writing of classical names is indeed in deep kim chee; I unthinkingly assumed that Achilles (not to be found anywhere, I suspect) was -os, while Peleus has been mucked with less. (And I hate not having the highly useful 'ji' and 'wu" -- or is it 'wo'? -- syllables). On Zeus, of course, the various histories pull us in all sorts of direction; I like 'Tijo' but 'Seju' has its points as well (the root is di-, cf. Diana and Jupiter)
janMato

Post by janMato »

jan Ote wrote:'Tijo' ...
No "ti" in toki pona. Breaks phonotactic rules.

likewise, "toki Latin" is illegal (ref. your other recent post)
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Damn! I hate those missing syllables -- mainly because I never remember about them when I am word building. So, Sijo it is and (yuck ptui) Lasin(a).
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

Here is a link to the pages from Fagles, if it is any help, though most of the solutions don't fit in the constrictions of toki pona.